Dividing Liquid Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hazy

Reaction score
G,day guys. Have started all grain brewing and using WHITE LABS Liquid yeasts. As these things are not cheap I intend to divide them up. Have found a bit of info on the subject but would like to Know if I have to let it completely ferment out before I divide it into six small batches, or whilst it is still active. Will search the forum to see if there is a step by step procedure.
Thanks in advance

If you are talking about using the yeast cake after fermenting then Here is then here is what you seek.

If splitting from the original pack then that is another process.

Gavo.

I make slants every time I open a new liquid yeast pack.
Then (if I plan well) after the first brew is finished I split/repitch/store the yeast slurry.

In theory slants should keep the yeast in a 'pure' state without any infections or mutations that may occur by reusing the slurry after brewing.
But repitching yeast slurry is a great way to build up yeast for bigger beers.

+1 slants.
I have only just started them myself, but already have quite a collection. It's not hard, and i'm saving some $ there.
To answer your first question it's probably better to do before it's fermented out(????)
I usually pour a little of the smack pack into a vial. Make a couple of slants, and use the rest (of the vial) for the next brew.
Only done this with the wyeast smack packs, so technically it's a small starter. Of course you can always repitch, save the trub / krausen, but i think with slants you'll have better results with a more pure strain. (Just make sure you make a good sized starter)
Good luck.

I smack the pack and step up a 3L or so starter which I split into one 1L and one 2L batch in PET bottles. The 2L starter is pitched and the 1L I let fully ferment out then split 4 ways, ensuring the sediment is evenly distributed (you could do more than 4 with a bigger starter). I store the 250ml "mini starters" in beer bottles that I keep in the bottom of the fridge.

Each time I do a new batch I use one of the bottles and step up to a normal size starter. You'll need to release the pressure in the PETs while fermentation is occurring or use the 'gladwrap/rubber band instead of a lid' method. That's just my simple way using PETs and normal beer bottles that doesn't require any extra equipment. Normal sanitaization steps apply during this process of course.

There are plenty of threads on this that give more detail.

Back