Disposable Oxygen Set-up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remi

Reaction score
I've recently managed to put together a disposable oxygen system for wort aeration- similar to that used by overseas brewers. Just wanted to let you guys know where I got the bits and pieces from...

The Bernzomatic disposable oxygen cylinders are a bit hard to track down- but for those in Melbourne I managed to find some at Coburg United Tools (no affiliation blah blah blah). They go for around $30, I've read that there is enough O2 in each bottle for 10-20 brews.

The regulator was purchased from Morebeer for $20, +about that for shipping- already had airstone and line, so you can avoid buying the whole set-up which goes for $50-60.

I gave it a go in today's brew- and 30 sec of O2 sent the fermentor frothing like crazy.

Don't know whether I'll be able to pick much of a difference but I'm hoping the lag time will be reduced. Regardless, I like the excuse to fiddle around with more gadgets...

remi

Image016.jpg

sorry- mobile phone pic, can't figure out how to rotate it...

Sounds great!
This is exactly the sort of thing I've been looking for and it's great news that the reg fits in the bottles available here.

MFS.

Just purchased a couple from Morebeer, complete set-up $47 (Aus) at my front door. Airstone from the LHBS was going to cost $25 alone and the more beer version has the reg, HEPA filter, stone and plastic hose. The yank ones have what appears to be a 3/8" line, so it's fairly chunky and doesn't bend all that easily. Would be nice to find some silicone hose that fitted.

The Oxygen cylinders are available from Bunnings over here, $31 according to the Morebeer spiel the cannister should be good for 10-15 20L batches, guess we'll find out.

If you search Bernzomatic with google on this forum some people looked at it before.

Hey Guys,

Yes new toys are good fun. if you can't track down any suitable silicon tubing mika, give a racking tube a go!

DSC00608.JPG

not a very good pic but u get the idea, this setup will reach the bottom of all my fermenters with minimal hastle (60L. 30L, Carboys etc)
the aluminium foil is covering the airstone.

DSC00609.JPG

initial tests on a lager over the weekend, gave it a 15 second squirt then pitched a swolen smack pack at 10pm, the next morning she was going off!

Rob.

well- 4.5hrs after pitching a 1.5L starter of wyeast abbey ale II into 1.050 wort i have some pretty impressive activity going on. shortest lag time ever for my set-up... not sure whether i can put it down to the oxygenation (vs aeration as i've done in the past,) but happy either way.

remi

:blink: Wow, $31 for an oxygen canister. They're $10.50 here.

The Bernzomatic disposable oxygen cylinders are a bit hard to track down- but for those in Melbourne I managed to find some at Coburg United Tools

Hey nifty gadget Remi. Coburg United Tools are just down the road from me. Might be a good project up the track. :)

:blink: Wow, $31 for an oxygen canister. They're $10.50 here.

Actually $29.5041 Canadian. Gotta love XE.com :D

Warren -

Latest posts

Back