Dismantling The Tap When Cleaning? Who Does? Who Doesn't?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IF YOU JUST USE GOO TINS =How often do you dismantle your tap?

• Never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • After every run

• When it looks dirty

• Every 2-5 runs

• Less frequently than every 5 runs

• I never just use goo tins.

• Total voters
what are they $2:50 each? Surely for this kind of expence we would have em layin round everywhere ?!?

Ive got a 3 of them and I rotate their use... 1 in primary, 1 in secondary and 1 spare... always one spare so that when Im cleaning I can take one out, break apart (wooden spoon) and boil, replace with sanitised version immediatly. Never had one leak (yet).

I also clean the all the threads (and tap internals) with a steam jet to ensure no gunk is left in the threads or body..

:icon_cheers:

Going to buck the system and say that my taps have never been pulled apart. They do get a good napisan soak after each ferment though, and no infections to date that relate to dirty taps.

I wash eveything after i've used it ...and use iodopher...
Then before i use it , i wash it and use iodopher...
Everything gets pulled apart and cleaned...
But thats just me...
Go pies !
Cheers
Ferg

I'm way too lazy to pull apart a tap.

I spray the threads with iodophor or starsan, screw it onto the fermenter and sanitise that as well.

I don't bother cleaning the threads with a toothbrush or anything either. It does get hosed out though.

When the tap starts looking manky it gets chucked and replaced.

Never had a problem.

Rob.

Tried to vote but it played funny buggers. Every tap gets pulled apart every time I'm readying my fermenter for a new batch. It goes through the same basic cleaning and sanitation processes as everything else.

I pull my taps apart every 3-4 brews and grease them up with food grade lube . The taps are dead easy to operate since lubrication .

Meh.. Fermenter taps

Richmond,, The joke of the AFL, even the AFL dont care about them considering they dug their own grave many, many, many times over and now the commision is more interested in developing clubs Gold Coast, Western Sydney than worrying about deadwood that cant change it`s own nappy! :eek:
The biggest news at Tigerland is most likely they made it the AHB pages.

GO CATS

i pull my taps apart every brew and soak in pbw or nappy san. after every 5 brews or so i just turf them and buy new ones,after doing a couple of dark beers lately it really shows how much crap gets caught in them and id hate to chuck a whole brew for the sake of not cleaning or replacing a $2 dollar part. and the tiges, theyre just stuffed.

Meh.. Fermenter taps

Richmond,, The joke of the AFL, even the AFL dont care about them considering they dug their own grave many, many, many times over and now the commision is more interested in developing clubs Gold Coast, Western Sydney than worrying about deadwood that cant change it`s own nappy! :eek:
The biggest news at Tigerland is most likely they made it the AHB pages.

GO CATS

QUEENSLANDER.!!!!!!!.......

Ohh yeah Im with Thirsty spend a couple of extra bucks on a fermenter tap that is easily pulled apart for cleaning.

Cheers

A year or so ago i had an infection (in my fermenters) i put down to being the taps as i cleaned the fermenters religiously, never cleaned the taps.
I had to throw the fermenters out as i lost about 4 batches and wasn't prepared to spend more money on ingredients without fixing the problem.

These days i clean the taps after every brew. Pull apart and scrub any muck off it, drop in boiling hot water then run starsan through it.
I replace the taps every few brews anyhow as tapping a dowel into it scratches the plastic and gives a home to nasties.

PS Manticle, you need to vote in every category otherwise you get an error....

CLEAN YOUR TAPS U LAZY BASTARDS!!! :)

(ps...joking, u arent all bastards, just the ones who dont clean the taps!!)

imagine losing a brew to a tap....not acceptable...unless u didnt know any better.

PS...food grade lube is good, but I am cheap, I use vaseline, have a small jar just for brewing, keeping it clean and uncontaminated. Works SO SO well....vaseline is pretty much food grade anyway. (read up on it before u try to shoot it down....) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_jelly

rendo

A year or so ago i had an infection (in my fermenters) i put down to being the taps as i cleaned the fermenters religiously, never cleaned the taps.
I had to throw the fermenters out as i lost about 4 batches and wasn't prepared to spend more money on ingredients without fixing the problem.

These days i clean the taps after every brew. Pull apart and scrub any muck off it, drop in boiling hot water then run starsan through it.
I replace the taps every few brews anyhow as tapping a dowel into it scratches the plastic and gives a home to nasties.

PS Manticle, you need to vote in every category otherwise you get an error....

Every time and Richmond has as much chance as Cronulla Shark to win a thophy. ^_^

...Richmond has as much chance as Cronulla Shark to win a thophy.

+1 Richmond love the Sharkies and viceversa

If you were a Western Bulldogs supporter you would understand the verbs "practice, precision, perfection" (yes, these are verbs not adjectives).

cleanliness is godliness

stick with it....
Richie

i clean my fermenter taps every time. with the pots i give them a soapy blast with a pressure washer.

You lot guilted me into giving it a proper clean this time, probably wise.

Couldn't get it apart, so stuck it in a bowl of water in the microwave for 10mins, for a furious boil, if anything survives that, well, we're all done for.

Are these the snap taps you can get from camping stores? Do they have the same diameter on the outlet to fit the bottling pipe thingy?

The snap taps I have are mostly green coloured with bits of yellow. I bought mine at my local HB shop.
They do fit the bottling wands, although the fit on mine is little tighter than on the standars taps. You need to be careful to make sure they are fitted properly when bottling. It's not a lot of fun when the wand comes loose.

Back