Dirty Taps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddicat

Reaction score
I have a couple of taps that have stuff, presumably mould, trapped between the inner and outer sleeve. If I clean and sanitize them as best I can but there is still dark matter trapped in there, I am wondering if the brew will get infected. Does any one else have dirty taps like these? Is this normal?

No, it is not normal- you'll need to dissemble them (a howto album - follow in reverse order) to get that stuff off as the gunk trapped in there will infect wort, I found out the hard way... :angry:

We discussed this a while back, it is no biggie to dissemble them, otherwise just buy some new ones- they're not expensive.

Hope this helps! :icon_cheers:

Great thanks, it worked! Now to get cleaning....

By the way not sure if there is something wrong with my browser or this forum but I am having trouble entering my post. Cursor is not able to be placed where I want to? Anyway, who cares? At least I can clean my taps!

No, it is not normal- you'll need to dissemble them (a howto album - follow in reverse order) to get that stuff off as the gunk trapped in there will infect wort, I found out the hard way... :angry:

We discussed this a while back, it is no biggie to dissemble them, otherwise just buy some new ones- they're not expensive.

Hope this helps! :icon_cheers:

Great thanks, it worked! Now to get cleaning....

By the way not sure if there is something wrong with my browser or this forum but I am having trouble entering my post. Cursor is not able to be placed where I want to? Anyway, who cares? At least I can clean my taps!

Are you using the latest version of Firefox? There appears to be some problems. I'm writing this using Safari.

By the way not sure if there is something wrong with my browser or this forum but I am having trouble entering my post. Cursor is not able to be placed where I want to?

Ah mate, simple fix.

In the upper right hand corner of your reply field you'll see two arrows working in a circular motion:
switch.jpg

Toggle it (click it once) and you'll be back to normal ;)

You'll definitely want to tear down your taps, do a thorough clean, soak in PBW (or choice), good rinse, reassemble and back to normal. I do mine on a regular basis, in addition to flush/clean the lines.. every few kegs or so.

reVox

Ah mate, simple fix.

In the upper right hand corner of your reply field you'll see two arrows working in a circular motion:
View attachment 36341

Toggle it (click it once) and you'll be back to normal ;)

You'll definitely want to tear down your taps, do a thorough clean, soak in PBW (or choice), good rinse, reassemble and back to normal. I do mine on a regular basis, in addition to flush/clean the lines.. every few kegs or so.

reVox

That worked too, thanks!

Latest posts

Back