Dirty real ale toucan

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex.Tas

Beer Goat
Reaction score
Hi. I was prowling around Kmart last night, and I spotted the brewing section. Thought I would try my first toucan. All they had wad coopers real ale and beer enhancer 1. All they had and it only cost 24 bucks.
I've god some cascade, chinook and cluster hops I can use for dry additions, to give it some decent aroma/flavor. Maybe 200g of wheat dry malt. Us05. I'm aiming at an American IPA.

60.8 ibu
1.064 og
1.020 fg

My question is, made up to 23 l and using half a kilo of dex and half a kilo maltodextrine (to cover the brew enhancer), is the ibu going to over balance the malt sweetness?

Brew Enhancer 1 is, from memory, 400 grams of Maltodextrin and 600 grams dextrose...
Going by that, your recipe would contain 1.1kg of dex and 900 grams Malto-dextrin... too much imo

Not sure how Dex & Malto-dex will "cover up" Dex and Malto-dex...

Anyhoo...Your FG is too high, the extra body (residual sugars) will require more bitterness to balance
I calculate, for 23 litres,
OG 1.077
FG 1.027
IBU 60.8

A good rule of thumb for IPA is a ratio of IBU to OG (BU:GU) of 1 - 1.5
(eg if your OG is 1.070 aim for minimum 70 IBU)

Drop the extra Malto-dex and add 900 grams of Dex to the BE1
I would also do a small boil to up the IBU to 80-90

Sorry, i didn't do a very good job at explaining me recipe
2 tins of coopers real ale
1 kilo of cooper Brew enhancer 1*
200g of wheat dry malt.

* (which i assumed was half and half maltodextrine and dextrose, but Newtownclown said its 400g maltodextrine and 600g dextrose).

Thanks for your rule of thumb newtownclown, i see your point. but if my calculations below are correct, then i would be relatively close to the mark yes?
60.8 ibu
1.064 og
1.020 fg

So as my og is calculated at 1.064, i should aim for an ibu of around 65-95 dependant on my taste preference yes?
side question - wouldn't fg be a better yardstick to compare IBUs to, as this is more of a representation of the residual sweetness of the beer?

cheers,

Perhaps, however, seeing as BU:GU is the ratio utilised by the industry, who am I to argue with the science.

What I do is to use Bu:GU and then adjust up or down depending on estimated FG.

How did you calculate you SG's for that recipe? Even if BE1 was 50/50 and you add 500g each of additional malto- and dex, I still get OG 1.077 and FG 1.026 (using IanH's Kit & Extract Beer designer spreadsheet V4.1)

BTW. Searched and found the make up for BE's
Brew Enhancer 1 - 60% Dextrose + 40% Maltodextrin

Brew Enhancer 2 - 50% Dextrose + 25% Maltodextrin + 25% Light Dry Malt

I just tried it again with 1.064 and 1.018 using 60/40 dex/malto.
Might be a silly question but whats your batch vol? mine is set at 23

Interesting,
23 litres (and not a silly Q at all)
2x real ale
.6kg dex
.4kg malto-dex
returns OG 1.061 FG 1.017 for me (in v4.1)

admittedly, I haven't used the spreadsheet for years and downloaded this version for a friend a while ago, is there a newer one? Perhaps I have inadvertently changed a formula... no errors are showing, though.

2x real ale
1.5kg dex
.4kg malto-dex
returns OG 1.075 FG 1.017

bam so how about a 15 minute boil with 20g cascade for 10 min?
Might not use the cluster/chinook combo for dry hop as thats what i use for my standard pale ale. i've read that galaxy goes well with cascade? i haven't used it before.

sounds good.
Yeah galaxy and cascade works well - galaxy compliments "C" hops very well

Latest posts

Back