Dirty Kegerator Lines?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebigwilk

Reaction score
Had my kegerator for a while now i dont think im drinking the beer quick enough to keep the lines clean before the keg runs out, thats when i clean the lines . Started to get a bit of crap coming into the head of my beers, just invested in a 1 liter inline cleaner. Plan on giving the lines a clean every couple of weeks and disassembling and cleaning the taps every keg, whats the general rule of thumb with the home brew kegging setups ? I thought kegging would save a bit of work rather than bottling but i now wonder. There is another whole sanitary issue to think about. :(

Had my kegerator for a while now i dont think im drinking the beer quick enough to keep the lines clean before the keg runs out, thats when i clean the lines . Started to get a bit of crap coming into the head of my beers, just invested in a 1 liter inline cleaner. Plan on giving the lines a clean every couple of weeks and disassembling and cleaning the taps every keg, whats the general rule of thumb with the home brew kegging setups ? I thought kegging would save a bit of work rather than bottling but i now wonder. There is another whole sanitary issue to think about. :(

Kegging certainly does save work over bottling but hygeine still remains a priority. Most taps, and I assume yours as well, have a rear valve assembly so there is plenty of bits and bobs between the valve and the end of the tap for beer to accumulate and go mouldy.

Keep one spare keg with some filtered water in it. Add a little phosphoric acid, it's better than plain water, to drop the pH to arond 3.0, don't go too low it came become corrosive. Run that through after your session and run it off before the next one. That should put some distance between your intense cleaning regimes.

OR swap out to Andale style taps, the valve is right at the end where the beer come out, it's a so much better design but minus the bling bling

Steve

i just pulled a beer and had a small dark spot on the head .
i changed over to my other tap and will clean the first one tomorrow they were pulled apart 2 weeks ago and have been flushed with phosphoric sanatiser between drink nights.
when it first happened it was dark black drops now i know what to look for its all changed over straight away.
to clarify i have a 2 tap kegger but all my kegs are the same so i am just using the 1 tap till it needs cleaning gives my other keg longer on the gas to carbonate .well thats me theroey anyway

once a keg before the new one goes on. saying that ive got perlicks and shirons, both forward sealing.
tap gets pulled apart and cleaned at the same time.

its all in ya taps if ya clean ya lines but if ya clean lines and taps dont think taps are clean thats what i used to do seems every week ill be pulln me taps apart it aint hard just saves crap beer
brett

When my tap gets sticky to pull, I take take it apart and clean it out and give it a lube.

I flush my lines out,.... well.... when the mood takes me. Not very often that is.

Back