Dirty Bottles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyDropbear

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to home-brew, so please excuse my ignorance if this is a common problem :rolleyes:

I bottled my 2nd brew a week and a half ago, the sediment seems to be falling out of suspension, but there are random spots where the sediment is lingering behind. This is happening in quite a few of the bottles. Is this likely the result of the bottles not being clean enough?

The bottles weren't purchased new, I pulled them out from underneath the missus' house (remnants of the old owners home-brew) as well as a batch they left behind. The bottles were pretty dirty but I had scrubbed and sterilized them quite a few times and thought they were ok.

Either way they will still be sampled, I'm just curious as to why the sediment is staying suspended where it's in contact with the glass as this didn't happen in my first batch (with new bottles)?

Cheers.

Rob :)

yeast still setteling from secondary fermentation is my guess.. they just need longer to drop.

Yob

I am assuming that is on the side of the bottles. I have had this as well, not exactly sure what it could be, I put it down to those bottles being on their side for little while, and the yeast catching the side of the bottle?

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'll wait and see what happens. The bottles have been upright since they were filled so was wondering if they were 'sticking' to dirt on the side of the glass.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back