Digital Termostat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banshee

Reaction score
I have a digital themostat and thermometer which I use durring mashing and I use analogue Penn liquid filled probes in my fridges.
What i do is fill a glass with water and put it in the fridge and put one digital probe in the water the other I just hang in the air. What I have noticed is two differrent readings. The glass of water has a more constant tempurature than the one dangling in mid air.
So what I do is set my analogue thermostat to the digital read out which has it's probe sitting in water.

I just wanted to know how you take your readings when using a digital probe in a fridge.

There are several extensive threads on the subject, I suggest you do a search, some people have even provided temperature-data graphs showing the differences for the different methods.

I use a fridgemate probe taped to the side of the fermenter with some polystyrene on it, to measure the beer temp, not the ambient.

Hi I have done some searches and have seen the responses.
It seems that at night time the two digital probes read the same but in the day the one I have in the glass of water is more constant. I guess the probe in the water is giving me a better indicator of my wort temp.

Cheers.

Hi I have done some searches and have seen the responses.
It seems that at night time the two digital probes read the same but in the day the one I have in the glass of water is more constant. I guess the probe in the water is giving me a better indicator of my wort temp.

Cheers.

Yep that'd be the gist of it.
The air temp can cool / heat faster than the water, so fluctuates a lot more in the temp controlled environment.

I sit mine in a bottle of water - I think its a better indication of the wort temp than hangning in the air.

I use a fridgemate probe taped to the side of the fermenter with some polystyrene on it, to measure the beer temp, not the ambient.

yep thats what I do. I believe Jamil Z does the same. Some experiments have been done that show around half a degree of difference from the outside of the fermenter and the center of the wort.

MD

yep thats what I do. I believe Jamil Z does the same. Some experiments have been done that show around half a degree of difference from the outside of the fermenter and the center of the wort.

MD

I have my probe attached to the fermenter by a decent blob of Blutak then covered by a piece of polystyrene taped in place as well
Each time I take a sample I always take a temp & compare to the units "present value"
I get a pretty constant .5 - .7 of a degree difference
So I set the set-point of the controller .7 of a degree lower than I am aiming for
Its always very close

Back