Digital Cameras...anyone Into Them / Sell Them?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a Nikon so I could bludge expensive lenses of Nikon owing mates when need be. In reality, they're no better than any other high end DSLR depending on you point of view.
I do like the fact that the Nikon can fit a bunch of lenses dating back to the 70's. You can find these for cheap at times from the usual outlets, though most wont AF. That's OK, trains the eye when you have to focus manually.
A macro is a good example of a lens's I like to borrow. Even if you do splash out on decent a lens or five, they're resale is always good, at least for constant F number, genuine ones.
Sigma/Tamron may make some good lenses, but have the resale worth of a Great Wall ute.

Even without a tripod in my shaky hands, you can get some interesting stuff with a macro lens.

Picture025_zps68bf426c.jpg

Picture135_zps870fdf10.jpg

Haha! Great Wall ute! If you're going to get serious about image quality then you need great glass. I have a Canon 7D, which is their best crop sensor body. I have one L series lens & am planning to drop a couple of grand on another. For hobby photographers with a limited budget, a 'nifty fifty' is a must have - its a cheap fixed focal length lens with a wide aperture. For the money (around $100) they are excellent, replaceable bits of kit.

Edit: also, RAW vs JPG, as well as having more info to use in your final edit (ie greater ability to get detail from shadows and claw back highlights), I shoot RAW because JPG conversion makes creative decisions for you - it automatically applies contrast and colour adjustments, and while it does a reasonable job most of the time, I'd rather control this to complement my image content.

Happy snaps at a BBQ, JPG is great and saves buttloads of time. Any other application, RAW is essential.

Phil Mud said:
Haha! Great Wall ute! If you're going to get serious about image quality then you need great glass. I have a Canon 7D, which is their best crop sensor body. I have one L series lens & am planning to drop a couple of grand on another. For hobby photographers with a limited budget, a 'nifty fifty' is a must have - its a cheap fixed focal length lens with a wide aperture. For the money (around $100) they are excellent, replaceable bits of kit.

Edit: also, RAW vs JPG, as well as having more info to use in your final edit (ie greater ability to get detail from shadows and claw back highlights), I shoot RAW because JPG conversion makes creative decisions for you - it automatically applies contrast and colour adjustments, and while it does a reasonable job most of the time, I'd rather control this to complement my image content.

Happy snaps at a BBQ, JPG is great and saves buttloads of time. Any other application, RAW is essential.
What editing software do you use Mud?

I'm using photoshop CS5 at the moment but will probably grab the new Lightroom because I don't always want to use layers or other photoshop specific functions, and I prefer the LR interface to Adobe Camera RAW.

I shoot with a D70s
Looking at a D800...

D5100/D5200 will take most users we'll beyond what they will ever need. Spend coin on glass.
My D70s has served me very well and I still like it - but I want something that'll allow me to print at sizes bigger than A3 which is really the limit (and pushing it at that) of the D70s.
I want a D800 because I love it.

Having said this if I was buying a dSLR kit today I'd probably go a canon...

Point and shoot IMO cant go past the Olympus TG-1 (or TG-2) shook proof, water proof to 6 meters, antifog for use in the snow, 12MP, huge aperture (for a P&S - F stop 2.0 is massive). Shoots 1080 video. Its not without flaws but as a complete package IMHO you cant go past it. I've taken mine scuba diving, paragliding, 4wding, swimming at the beach dropped in the sand, comes camping etc.
But its about double your $200 budget ...

pokolbinguy said:
Cheers, I had actually thought about officeworks....JB have it for $777, and found it online for $739 (DigitalCameraWarehouse)... so 5% better than those are $738 & $702. I'm hoping I can get it for $700 from JB or something like that.

Sort of hoping someone on here will know of a super duper price.
honestly speaking I don't think it can get cheaper... 'cause look at the price here https://www.camera-warehouse.com.au/pentax_dslr some cam models are around that budget you have, but the rest are faaaar more expensive

Or you could buy a film camera that is getting less and less valuable by the day, almost, for about a hundred bucks and profit!

Latest posts

Back