Difficulties With Milkstout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notung

Reaction score
Greetings all, perhaps somebody will be able to lend some advice...

I have a sweet milk stout in the works, which I've been using a "Mackinson Stout" recipe for (from the green Brewcraft book). I used:

- Munton's export stout kit
- Brewcraft #30 milk stout booster
- 500g lactose
- safale yeast
(FINAL VOL. 20L)

I arrived at an OG of 1057, a tad more than the 1052 that the recipe forsees. The brew appears to have come to a complete stop at SG 1036, and I am not sure what to do... I have given the vat a firm shake, and redoubled my efforts to keep it comfortably (but not too) warm, and the SG's have not shifted.

Anyway, this didn't seem quite right, and I would love any advice people may have... Any way to salvage the brew?

Cheers,
Cameron

Probably the lactose keeping the FG up as it is unfermentable(yeast cant chew it)

If its stable(FG) 2 days or more then its done

I concur with Brauluver. I don't know how much lactose is in the brewcraft booster, but coupled with the 500g lactose that's a lot of unfermentables ! Your brew is completely salvageable. Perhaps try another packet of yeast, but if it's finished then that's it. If it's to sweet then thin it down with some boiled/cooled water until you get the gravity you are after. By my calculations if you wanted a FG of 1.020 you would need 16 lts or FG 1.025 add 8.8 lts. good luck :beerbang:

Many thanks for the advice!!

That sounds most likely in the case of the lactose. It is a shame and all, because I high wound up with a less potent stout (around 3.6%), but the taste should still be deliciously thick & sweet. Bottling occurs today!

Latest posts

Back