Difference In Hop Aroma For The Same Variety.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadjaja

Reaction score
I've got three lots of Amarillo in the house now and all three smell quite different in their own right. All three smell fine and have the characteristics of Amarillo I'd expect but quite noticibly all different.

All three are 09 crops about 9%AA from US crops too. I guess the only thing I'm looking for is cheesy smells and off smelling tones right?

Whats the best way to evaluate hops before you actually brew with them?

I gues from farm to farm there can be quite a big difference.

from wikipedia -> Amarillo is an aroma variety of hops. The Amarillo variety, designated VGXP01 c.v., was discovered and introduced by Virgil Gamache Farms Inc. in Washington State[1]. Unlike most varieties of hops, which may be acquired and propagated by the purchase of rhizomes, Amarillo hops are privately grown only by Virgil Gamache Farms; the organization holds a trademark on the name "Amarillo."

so don't know why they would smell taste different? how long have the packets been open? were they open in a fridge with other things that smell?

i evaluate through smell and AA using brewtarget (or any other brew calc)
I've herd of ppl making a cup o T out of there hops before (esp to evaluate AA of home grown hops) but i'd just use your nose if it smells alright should be fine.

PS. Amarillo is one of my faves, I was pissed when i found out i couldn't get a hold of a rhizome cos it's painted.

from wikipedia -> Amarillo is an aroma variety of hops. The Amarillo variety, designated VGXP01 c.v., was discovered and introduced by Virgil Gamache Farms Inc. in Washington State[1]. Unlike most varieties of hops, which may be acquired and propagated by the purchase of rhizomes, Amarillo hops are privately grown only by Virgil Gamache Farms; the organization holds a trademark on the name "Amarillo."

so don't know why they would smell taste different? how long have the packets been open? were they open in a fridge with other things that smell?

i evaluate through smell and AA using brewtarget (or any other brew calc)
I've herd of ppl making a cup o T out of there hops before (esp to evaluate AA of home grown hops) but i'd just use your nose if it smells alright should be fine.

PS. Amarillo is one of my faves, I was pissed when i found out i couldn't get a hold of a rhizome cos it's painted.

Painted?

What colour?

Hi,

Just thought I would add some comments.... yes, indeed the same variety of hop can have vastly different aromas. I have been in Washington State selecting hops one several occasions and on these trips will often smell say 30 different lots of cascade (for example) with all lots smelling a little bit different - everything from very citrusy, to piney all the way to more like kerosene. Suggest seasonal factors and farm location all impact on the aroma, but what also impacts is the length of time between packing post kiln (into bales) and repacking into vacuum packed boxes.

So the hops always change... it's a moving target! (but of course other factors such as when they were repacked again by the homebrew shop, and what moonshine mentioned all make a difference too)

Cheers,

Alex

I was about to chime in here too, along the lines of what Alex has mentioned. First and biggest difference is definitely whether your hops are from the same homebrew supplier or not? If they're different, how they've handled and repackaged them will make a big difference. And if they're from the same store, as Alex says the hops themselves can vary hugely, just like grapes from different vineyards can. I haven't been to Washington State yet but I can tell you that no matter how many quarter-bale boxes of the same hop you crack open, they never smell exactly the same.

I think the best way to evaluate them is to brew with 'em. You could always do a side-by-side-by-side, three batches of the same beer with the three different culprits. Would be a good little experiment. I'll bet they all taste like Amarillo, and you get to drink them all at the end of it.

Thanks guys.

The ones with the higher AA% have less aroma but are far from dull. All three lots came vac sealed and told they had been stored cold so I doubt they have been abused in their past life. As you said the proof will be in the brewing but other beers made with hops from these places have turned out great anyway.

Just found it interesting. I may even use the higher ones for the bittering additions in an APA and the more pungent ones late in the boil..

Latest posts

Back