Difference In Floor-malted Weyermann Bo Pils Malt?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmeister70

Reaction score
I've just seen on the Craft Brewer web site that he is stacking a floor malted Bohemian Pilsener malt and
was curious to know if anyone has had experience with it yet? I just bought a load of the regular
Bohemian Pilsener malt of which the first pilsener is currently in the primary, but it seemed a fair bit
cloudier while I was mashing it...

Could this floor malted stuff be the holy grail us European lager lovers have been searching for all this time? Please somebody give us the low-down on how your beer turned out.

Cheers,

Brewmeister70 :icon_drool2:

there's an embarrassment of malt riches available to us these days. will try this stuff out very soon - might do a "svetly lezak" with san fran yeast, after my IPA and stout.

Good one Neonmeate. Please let us know how you get on with it. I've got a Bo Pils just at the secondary stage and am tied up cold-space wise for a while.

Good luck with it! :icon_cheers:

just aerating a pseudo pils i made with this that im fermenting with 1007 - kolinsky prazdroj, or (seeing as 1007 probably will never clear) a kolinsky kvasnicovy (cloudy pilsener currently in fashion in czrep).

this stuff is paler than the bohpils malt i've used in the past - with 180g saaz it came out a nice shade of green into the fermenter. amazing hot break - hard as polystyrene, big ice floes - hopefully will come out with those nice uneven blotchy heads that czech pilseners have. i had no idea whether it was necessary but i did a protein rest and a double decoction for the romance of it, while i watched the crows fall agonizingly short of teaching those stripey guys a lesson.

kolinsky prazdroj

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 20.00 l Wort Volume After Boil: 15.00 l
Volume Transferred: 15.00 l Water Added To Fermenter: 4.50 l
Volume At Pitching: 19.50 l Volume Of Finished Beer: 19.50 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.047 SG Expected OG: 1.048 SG
Expected FG: 1.012 SG Apparent Attenuation: 74.9 %
Expected ABV: 4.8 % Expected ABW: 3.8 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 54.9 IBU Expected Color: 3.4 SRM
Mash Efficiency: 75.0 % Approx Color:
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 18 degC

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % When
Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt 4.00 kg 100.0 % In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount Form When
Czech Saaz 3.6 90 g Pelletized Hops 60 Min From End
Czech Saaz 3.6 45 g Pelletized Hops 15 Min From End
Czech Saaz 3.6 45 g Loose Whole Hops 1 Min From End

Yeast
Wyeast 1007-German Ale

Water Profile
Target Profile: No Water Profile Chosen
Mash pH: 5.3
pH Adjusted with: Unadjusted

Total Calcium (ppm): 12 Total Magnesium (ppm): 5
Total Sodium (ppm): 13 Total Sulfate (ppm): 9
Total Chloride(ppm): 25 Total Bicarbonate (ppm): 0

Recipe Notes
added 1/2 tsp citric acid. 10L water. 51C 20 mins + 3L boiling H2O -> 61C 30 mins decoction 3.5L -> 68C 30 mins thin decoction 3L -> 76C mashout.

hey i expected some sort of dodgy midi tune for my 1000th post! where is it.

just had my first taste of this - the malt flavour is out of this fucken world!!! in a pilsener kind of way. lovely mouthfeel and long long finish. - anyone else tried this malt yet?
1007 makes a good pseudo lager.

I've got a sack in my garage awaiting my next BoPils.

I just used this malt in a all German wheat...grain to brain soon...
cant wait.

now that this has carbed up and settled down - this stuff produces the most amazing head. just like fresh lagers in czech rep. the head has little islands and stuff. don't know if that is cause i did a protein rest and double decoction. (would be interested to hear how standard infusions go)

this is some special malt. it's got that real honey/freshly baked bread czech malt flavour. i never got that from the standard weyermann boho malt.

this is some special malt. it's got that real honey/freshly baked bread czech malt flavour. i never got that from the standard weyermann boho malt.

Now thats what you want out of a Pilsner malt :icon_drool2:

So is this different stuff to the Weyermann Boh Pils malt that has been around in the past?

A little off topic, but I used some Barrett Bursten Pale malt for some beers over the past 12 months and I am not all that impressed - particularly in lighter lagers etc. I find it very dextrinous, like its got a gummy heaviness to it, without it actually being necessarily "sweet". I've heard some similar reports of the BB Ale malt. Don't think I'll use it again, especially in pilsners etc. I am back on the old faithful Joe White stuff again and couldn't be happier. A lot of people say JW pils is up there with Wyermann pils malts. Keen yo hear any opinions on this for those who have tried both...

A lot of people say JW pils is up there with Wyermann pils malts. Keen yo hear any opinions on this for those who have tried both...

Ive tasted examples of pilsners with 100% Weyermann and JW, the malt profile was almost identical. JW seemed somewhat sweeter.

I'm sure the Weyermann is a great product. I've used the German Pils and was very happy. But I've used JW at half the price with great success. Bottom line: do I think Weyermann is twice as good as JW? No way.

Bottom line: do I think Weyermann is twice as good as JW? No way.

I'd have to agree. Unless i can get it in a bulk buy for a comparable price, i wont be buying it often. The biggest Weyermann winner for me is the Munich. Would take a sack of that at retial price over JW at cost price any day.

If you are expecting a malt that's twice the price to give you twice as good a beer then I would suggest sticking totally with domestic malt.

Personally, I rarely have issues paying extra for ingredients if it gives me the beer profile I'm chasing. Belgian Candy is another example - you'd never use over sugar, if you expected the beer to be 10x as good to make it value for money.

Cheers Ross

If you are expecting a malt that's twice the price to give you twice as good a beer then I would suggest sticking totally with domestic malt.
Personally, I rarely have issues paying extra for ingredients if it gives me the beer profile I'm chasing.

Cheers Ross

Spot on Ross, which is why i dont bother often with Weyermann Pils unless i want some terroir in my beer. I might give it a go again sometime soon but the fact that a batch of 100% weyermann pils could almost pay for 2 batches of 100% JW pils is seems senseless to me when i have ended up with the same result (to my palate). Maybe sometime soon i'll split a yeastcake between two 100% pilsners with identical hopping schedules but different maltsters and see how they stack up.

Munich is the perfect example where i find its profile to be more to my taste in my beers over JW Munich. Just a personal preference really.

I did a 100% JW pils, then followed it with a 100% Wey pils. Both great beers. I think the Wey pils had a bit more character, but wasn't streets ahead of the JW. I do love MO though, as i brew mostly bitters. But, im happy to use the JW trad. If i had the cash to splash, i'd buy MO, and the Wey pils, but like geoff says, for the price, JW is great malt.

I do prefer the weyerman Caramunich's to the english/aus crystals though.

Interesting stuff. I had a bit of a squiz around the few maltster's websites that still do floor-maltings, but not much info about the process.

Found the below on Wikipedia though and another basic but good weblink here: http://www.ukmalt.com/howmaltismade/oldnew.html

"A maltings, sometimes called malthouse, or malting floor, is a building that houses the process of converting barley into malt, for use in the brewing or distilling process.[4] This is done by kiln-drying the sprouted barley. This is usually done by spreading the sprouted barley on a perforated wooden floor. Smoke, coming from an oasting fireplace (via smoke channels) is then used to heat the wooden floor (and thus, the sprouted grain with it). The temperature thus employed is usually around 55 Celsius (131 Fahrenheit). A typical floor maltings is a long, single-story building with a floor that slopes slightly from one end of the building to the other. Floor maltings began to be phased out in the 1940s in favor of 'pneumatic plants'. Here large industrial fans are used to blow air through the germinating grain beds and to pass hot air through the malt being kilned. Like floor maltings these pneumatic plants are batch processes but of considerably greater size, typically 100 tonne batches compared with 20 tonne batches for a floor maltings."

Can't beat the traditional methods a lot of the time! Will be interested to do some more experimentation myself :icon_cheers:

I do prefer the weyerman Caramunich's to the english/aus crystals though.

Theats where im backwards, Love all of weyermanns malts except caramunich.. :ph34r: i think i overused it in my younger AG days. Will have to give it another shot soon.

Back