Did I Stuff Up Steeping Of Grains?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddywillwill

Reaction score
hi.

i tried steeping yesterday for the first time, and read the how to brew book by john j. palmer today.
i think i stuff up the steeping.
what i did was. got the water to near boiling point put the grains in a steeping bag just to get it into the wort before the full boil. then when the water was boiling i added all other malts, hops, etc and let it go for about 3o - 40 mins. then drained the bag and dumped into a fermenter with 15 litres of water. with a starting yeast of SAFale us-05. its bubbling away at the moment, so there is sugars to ferment.

(actual recipe was)
Chimay Clone
Light dry malt 2.3kg
Black malt grain (crushed) 30g
soft brown sugar 400g
Honey 250g
BH Hallertau Pellets 40g
BH Goldings 12g.

i read in the book "how to brew" i was suppose to do the steeping then after 30 - 40mins then add the other malts etc.

did i srcew it up or did i just do it a weird way?

Willis

At least now you know how you should do it.
steep at 65-70C for 30 mins then remove grains before boiling up.

Boiling the grain will release tannins into the wort.

the good news is it was only 30g so will not make a complete disaster.
I would guess that 30g of black malt would be mostly for a bit of colour.

If you boiled the honey you will have driven off most of the flavours and aroma.

PS Tannins are the harsh taste you get if you stew tea in boiling water for a long time.

There is a guide to steeping specialty grains here, you might be able to answer your own question.
To steep specialty grain you basically you soak the grain for the desired time at the desired temp and then drain the sweet liquor from the grain and discard the spent grain. The sweet liquor from the grain is then boiled to kill off any bacteria and to boil in any hops. By what you have described it sounds like you have boiled the grain which is a no-no. Too late now if you have, something to chalk up for next time. Looks like it will be good if not a little astringent from extracting tannins from the grain.

Cheers
Gavo.

Stuffed up the steeping but not necessarily the brew. Relax, make it better next time. As mentioned - 30g of grain, even with extracted tannins, won't do an amazing amount to ruin the brew.

Next time soak cracked grains in hot water for 30 -60 mins THEN boil.

Ah yeah 30grams Phht, won't notice the difference by accidentally boiling them, and took another trip on the learning curve at the same time.

All will be good.

Gavo.

Pffft! 30grs of grains boiled. Ya won' notice it! Ask Sully and Bradsbrews how to strain and boil grains they are the experts... :ph34r:

Chappo

Back