Did I Pitch Super Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lespaul

Reaction score
Put down an Irish Red on the weekend, pitched at 16 degrees into 28lt 1.044 wort on sunday morning.
Get home today and there is clear beer, a level liquid in the air lock and not much happening. Currently at 1.008 im guessing that the fermentation has finished in around a day and a half?

Bairds Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt 4.5kgWeyermann Munich I 2.0kgWeyermann Carared 400gJWM Crystal 140 320gJWM Roasted Malt 170g
Rice 200g
Wyeast irish
5g CaCl 5g CaSO4

The temp should be fine, was freezing in Melbourne over the last couple of days and it was in the fridge hooked up to a tempmate and heater belt. Had a yeast starter of about 2lt and i used the slurry on some of the irish until it was cracking and then dumped it in on the rest.

Any concerns with this finishing so quick (estery flavours?), why it would happen (too much yeast?), how to prevent (smaller starter?)? Nothing i have done with this is any different to other beers other than i had an increase in the salt additions.

any info would be peachy,
Cheers

p.s ive blown up in where i put this topic...

Latest posts

Back