Diacetyl Rest A Doppelbock?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadjaja

Reaction score
Do I really need to give my AG doppelbock a rest?

I pitched cold at 12 degrees and its been sitting at 10 degrees ever since. It started at 1075 and its now at 1030 and the krausen has started to collapse thru the brew. I'm using wyeast 2206 bavarian lager. I plan on putting it in secondary, purging with c02 and lagering for at least a month.

I would expect it to finish about 1017 so just when should I bring it in for a day or two if I need too? I've got another lager on the go with this yeast currently and it too was pitched cold and been at 10 degrees but it doesn't nearly smelll half as clean as the doppel which so far has lacked much of a sulphur smell too it.

Never done an AG lager before as I'm not really a lager drinker but the doppel is for me and the lager for a mate. Flying bind.

I can't see anything to lose by giving the doppel a rest anyway, just picking the perfect moment I guess. I take it the rest should be in the primary?

I hope to rack it soon, I need the fermenter for more ales LOL

Doppel smells...... :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

I don't know about a doppel, but I'm currently enjoying a bock thats made me reassess my prejudice against lagers. Man, its good..
The bock was a little slugish initially, but seemed to plumet during the last week or so.
I fermented at 10 deg (along with a pilsner) throughout and ramped it to 12 deg for the last few days just to be sure, but they both smelt and tasted fine before that anyway.
So it went four weeks in the fermenters, crashed to 1 deg, tranfered to kegs, left for around another two weeks, gas and go.

The pilsner in particular has raised the eyebrows and met with nods of approval from all who have tried it - its a ripper!

hmmm so no rest for both yours.

I'm running out of time to make up my mind if I do it or not.

Do I really need to give my AG doppelbock a rest?
Hi chadjaja

Glad to hear someone else is onto the dopplebock. I've got around 10 AG dopples under my belt now and I must admit they are very addictive!

Now to answer your question - I would def raise the temp up to around 18-19 seeing as you've hit around 1030. Why - well the alcohol content is going to be getting up round 5.75% so you def want to keep the yeast eating away at all those sugars. Give it around 3-4 days at 18-19 and you'll prob get close to 1017.

Generally, my dopples finish round 1020 or slightly below. I've always had my best results with this style by culturing up at least a 3L starter of liquid yeast then pitching it into a wort with a temp of around 12 degrees. I generally let it ferment for till it hits round the 1030 mark (usually 10-12 days) then raise the temp up.

If you have a filter there is no need to lager the dopple or any other lager (my experience only here - people on here might disagree with this comment), simply crash chill for a day or two, add the polyclar, then filter, force carb and enjoy. The beer will change in flavour over time (could argue for the better) but not unbelievably so (once again my opinion).

Best of luck and let me know how it tastes :icon_chickcheers:

Thanks for the advice, exactly what I was after.

In the house it comes and as usual I'll probably rack and crash chill before kegging. I get best results doing that.

I only made up a smaller 15L batch due to mash tun size and the grain bill for this. Should end up about 7% or so but still made up a decent size starter in my 2L flask on my stir plate. Samples have tasted great so I'm full of hope it is a cracker!

Thinking of doing another batch whilst its cold and bottling it to compare the two and conditioning/carbing methods.

In it comes, it hasn't reached FG so warmed up a bit it still has enough to clean up itself.

Cheers mate :beer:

Back