Dextrose vs Cane Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your lhbs, just like a lot of others, have it in their best interest to dissuade the use of sucrose. Some reasons mentioned above, like poor handling and temp control by the brewers, but also, you can buy sucrose cheap from the supermarket, not the dex, usually. I won't comment on fruity flavours from sugar either, ditched the kit long before I'd get to see it.
Have noticed some of that flavour in kit beer I was offered that'd been fermented at ambient, in qld. Then again, I didn't ask if it was sucrose or anyway... I can surely say no such thing in my beer that gets a sucrose addition in the boil. Temperature appropriate yeast used in good quantity.

I don't know because it was a long time ago, before internet forums, Someone gave me some funny tasting homebrew, said it was because of too much cane sugar. I got the impression that sort of taint was common in those days, could have been a touch of acetaldehyde i suppose from oxidation. I don't brew with sugar very much, sometimes I add a bit of dex to the wort. Probably it is just the homebrew shops wanting to sell more dex.

I made 2 kit beers about a month apart couple of years ago,both Morgan's stockman's draught and one with dextrose and the other with the same amount of sugar.
Both tasted pretty good and no noticeable difference.Sugar being cheaper I stuck with it. Doing AG now,BIAB.

Latest posts

Back