Designing My Kegerator Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Moved this from the Buying A Kegerator thread as it is heading in a different direction. Apologies if you have already read it:

I've decided to go ahead and build my kegerator, which is probably best as I didn't really have the cash needed for a ready built one, so this way I can buy bits as and when I can sneak the cash out of the joint account! I am going for a font style setup and have bought a kit from Pinnacle which I will extract the useful bits from and resell the rest probably back on ebay.

The kit is below, I am going to use the regulator, 2 way gas connector, pipes, clips, and depending cash situation I may be forced to go down the soda stream route. As I plan to use 19 litre Cornelius kegs I won't need the CUB Barrell connectors.

kitfinish.jpg

I don't want to build anything too mental or technical for my first kegerator (yes, I'm sure this won't be my only attempt!) so am thinking of mounting on a bar fridge rather than a freezer and having the extra spend and work fitting temp. controllers etc. And I would also like to be able to stick it on a trolley with wheels so that it can join by the barbie at the weekend so another reason to go with this option.

How easy is it to fit two cornies in a fridge of this sort; are they easy to find in this size? Does anyone have any other ideas for options based around this kit. Space is not an issue, money is! I have no kegging equipment just yet so I'm not limited by current equipment.

Thanks in advance, I'm off to choose between an Irish Stout (Guiness clone) and a Pilsner

DIP

Hey DIP,

There was no pic??

I've just built a home fridge kegerator and setting up is quite cheap....

Apart from the cost of kegs and reg the only outlay is taps with fridge adapter, line and disconnects...

Ive seen fidge taps on ebay for $139 + postage (2 x taps, line, hose clamps and disconnects) and co2 bottles for $149 + postage aswell

I hope this helps..

PHARSYDE

I checked out barfridges at my local Fridge and Washer City. They all seem to have the compressor across the entire back part of the fridge, meaning that corny kegs won't sit in there properly. If you put a shelf in to get you over the compressor hump, you have issues with the height, and again corny kegs won't fit. That's why Craftbrewer/Pinnacle/et al use specially designed fridges where the compressor hump is moved to one side, to allow kegs to sit in there properly. I'd be angling for a second hand freezer if going down this path...

Hey DIP,

There was no pic??

I've just built a home fridge kegerator and setting up is quite cheap....

Apart from the cost of kegs and reg the only outlay is taps with fridge adapter, line and disconnects...

Ive seen fidge taps on ebay for $139 + postage (2 x taps, line, hose clamps and disconnects) and co2 bottles for $149 + postage aswell

I hope this helps..

PHARSYDE

Pic added!
CO2 bottles for 149? Tell me more!!!

I checked out barfridges at my local Fridge and Washer City. They all seem to have the compressor across the entire back part of the fridge, meaning that corny kegs won't sit in there properly. If you put a shelf in to get you over the compressor hump, you have issues with the height, and again corny kegs won't fit. That's why Craftbrewer/Pinnacle/et al use specially designed fridges where the compressor hump is moved to one side, to allow kegs to sit in there properly. I'd be angling for a second hand freezer if going down this path...

I've looked into the freezer option, but don't want to be spending more than I can help and the temperature control alone seems to be a fair whack. I'm open to suggestions & advice on a cheap way to freezer convert though if you have any ideas.

Cheers,
DIP

I've looked into the freezer option, but don't want to be spending more than I can help and the temperature control alone seems to be a fair whack. I'm open to suggestions & advice on a cheap way to freezer convert though if you have any ideas.

Cheers,
DIP

Temp control can be a $50 fridgemate, can't it? I haven't ever set one up - maybe it plays havoc with freezer compressors.

OK, so then a better option might be finding a short fridge (not a barfridge) through ebay or the classifieds, like Pharsyde's silver bullet.

$149 ...seems like a damn good price to me.

$149 ...seems like a damn good price to me.

Got to add $50 delivery from the look of it. Still, its a good price for a full bottle IMHO. Thanks for the heads up, when I can afford to get one I will. Until then I will use soda stream bottle as I found one cheap as to get me started.

My chest freezer was inherited for free and is running with a fridgemate with no problems whatsoever. Its just the standard small freezer but can hold 3 kegs + gas bottle inside. It would fit 4 if I bothered to move the gas out but I only have two taps on there anyway.

Have a look at the "show us your keg setups" thread for inspiration.

Latest posts

Back