Denny Conn's Rye Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What would be a substitute for the californian pub ale yeast he uses in his original recipe? Would US-05 do the trick? I'm brewing this tomorrow.

cheers

Browndog

I've got this brew dry hopping at the moment and I used US 05. Seems to have done the trick. Just waiting for an empty keg so I can get stuck into it.

I've used both WLP001 and US05. It's just down to preference, I like the US05 a bit better, but it's my main-stay yeast and I have done more variations of Rye PA's and IPA's with the us05.

I'd like to give the WLP051 (Cal Ale V) a try, but hard to come by unless you special order.

Necro!

I did a slight variant of this, pretty much same grain bill my own hopping schedule.
Really enjoying it.
Mash at 67 degrees
Ferment with WY 1272 @ 20 degrees

Est Original Gravity: 1.075 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.071 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.015 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.26 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.3%
Bitterness: 73.7 IBU Calories: 629 cal/l
Est Color: 12.4 SRM Color:

Pale Ale Malt 2-Row (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 67.29 %
Rye Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain 18.79 %
Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.85 %
Carafoam (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.04 %
Wheat - Red Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM) Grain 3.04 %
Magnum [12.80 %] (60 min) Hops 15.3 IBU
Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 15.5 IBU
Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
Chinook [13.00 %] (20 min) Hops 15.6 IBU
Chinook [13.00 %] (10 min) Hops 9.4 IBU
Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
Chinook [13.00 %] (5 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
2g / L Chinook [13.00 %] (0 min) Flame Out
2g / L Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Flame Out

Must give Chad's RIPA a go soon but like your different hop schedule BFU. :icon_cheers:
1272 rocks! :super: My favourite Yank yeast!
Just tapped my latest RyePA (same difference) with 52% Rye.
The US-05 stays where it belongs --- In the fridge as an emergency stand-by only.
Just giving my 2-cents.

TP

I've brewed variations on this recipe 4 or 5 times

Always, by necessity mostly, substituted Hersbrucker for MtHood and Chinook for Columbus - they work fine but who knows how close to the original??

Since the first time I have gradually been knocking the OG and bitterness levels back... now when I make it, its more a rye APA and is generally a tiny bit drier - but the ratios of everything have stayed fundamentally the same as the original recipe. its just a good flavour mix that I dont think needs any messing with, so all I do is make the experience little less intense and a little less likely to make me fall off my chair.

Last time with 1272 which I like a lot more than 1056

I'm looking at a denny recipe as i have his yeast in the fridge. I got columbus and Hallertau so i should be able to make it

Latest posts

Back