Deliberately Turning Beer Into Vinegar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wardhog

Hooray I have a custom title
Reaction score
Found this Make Your Own Vinegar, and it got me thinking that if you have some beer that you're not really all that keen on, it could do wonders on your fish and chips.

For example, I've got a couple of bottles of ESB I made a while back that I'd be happy to turn into vinegar, I reckon it would make a great twist on malt vinegar. Only thing is, I have no idea where I'd get a starter of the bacteria - "vinegar mother" - anyone got any experience/knowledge with making vinegar out of beer?

vinegar.... c'mon mate turn it into something worthwhile. old crappy beer loves being "made" into "essential oils"...

Another vote for collecting "essence of beer" ;) Although I have wondered the same thing a couple weeks back. I think cloudy apple cider vinegar is a good source of the bacteria required, should be available from any hippie health food shop.

Only thing is, I have no idea where I'd get a starter of the bacteria - "vinegar mother" - anyone got any experience/knowledge with making vinegar out of beer?

Almost every vinegar I buy ends up 'producing' a mother after a few months in my cupboard. Maybe it just sits there too long, but I noticed that my cider, white, white wine, red wine and balsamic vinegars all had a mother floating around in them when I went to use them the other day. I'd never realised what that slimy thing was until I googled it. Not sure what I'm doing right (or wrong) to produce a mother, but I can testify that just regular cider vinegar from Coles will readily give up a mother after storage for a few months...

There was an episode on the Brewing Network where Homer talked about making vinegar. He said that he had tried several times but had never made a nice vinegar from beer.

From memory there was some good info for making vinegar aswell

Link

Kabooby :icon_cheers:

Grain and grape sells a vinegar culture for making your own vinegar. Its in amongst their wine making supplies.

Back