Decptive Weight Of Gas Bottle Nearing Empty.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadjaja

Reaction score
I have a party next Sat and I'm putting on two kegs. Still need to carb up another two kegs of mine before that too..

Well I thought my gas was getting REAL low and was worried about the thought of it giving away half way thru the night leaving us beerless.... :( :( :(

Don't know if its just me worrying and thinking 'geez that IS light for the bottle'...

Just worked out the tare weight is 10.25kg

Reg weighs 1.35kg

Tank on scales weighs 13.5kg.

PLENTY of gas left it seems when you think you only start with 6kgs of gas and its still a third full!

Rekon last time I refilled and didn't bother weighing it I wasted a bit of gas.

My k n k mate round the corner just keeps his bottle sitting on an old set of bathroom scales he got from an op shop.

I have a party next Sat and I'm putting on two kegs. Still need to carb up another two kegs of mine before that too..

Well I thought my gas was getting REAL low and was worried about the thought of it giving away half way thru the night leaving us beerless.... :( :( :(

Don't know if its just me worrying and thinking 'geez that IS light for the bottle'...

Just worked out the tare weight is 10.25kg

Reg weighs 1.35kg

Tank on scales weighs 13.5kg.

PLENTY of gas left it seems when you think you only start with 6kgs of gas and its still a third full!

Rekon last time I refilled and didn't bother weighing it I wasted a bit of gas.
If you are using a reputable business as your refiller they should weigh before and after filling and only charge you for the gas used.
If you are just using swap and go then you may well be wasting gas if you don't run your bottle to empty.
Nige

Once the reg gets down in the red, you'll still have plenty of gas to dispense a couple of kegs. The last 2 time I've filled mine up (swap n go) I opened the valve to see how much gas was in there, both times it just sounded like letting air out of a baloon for about 2 seconds, had SFA left in it. Going by scales assumes that your scales are accurate, and if their digital and just home jobbies, they're probably not

When I first started kegging I was advised a couple of times that once the needle goes into the red you have one kegs worth left.

I'm so glad I've got 2 bottles.

Has the bottle pressure side of the reg moved at all? If not then you've still got some liquified gas in there which will last a few kegs.

Back