De Pressurising a 50L Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ciderman

Reaction score
I was given a 50L keg and I'd like to turn it into a HLT. I don't really want to buy a keg coupler to de gas it, is there anyone North Brisbane, Pine Rivers area that has one and could de pressurise it for me? It's a CUB keg. Picture below.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1425424830.597079.jpg

I just used a hammer and screw driver taped the internal spike around to un thread it.

Once it started to de-gass I left it till it was done then I continued to remove it.

Once I saw the price of the tools I'm sure this is what most do.

I'm sure someone here will go on about how you obtained it ect... I'm sure it has the serial # crossed out with x's right :D

EDIT : Oh you had better wait until some more people back up this method before blowing your self up.

Just depress the ball with something and it will degas, if there's any chance there is some beer in it do this on its side to avoid being sprayed.

Ciderman said:
I was given a 50L keg and I'd like to turn it into a HLT. I don't really want to buy a keg coupler to de gas it, is there anyone North Brisbane, Pine Rivers area that has one and could de pressurise it for me? It's a CUB keg. Picture below.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1425424830.597079.jpg
Use a screw driver to depress the ball valve but hold a towel over top to stop any beer spraying onto your face.

I wasn't going to, but after getting caught out once myself ...
I had read about putting the keg on its side first, but after connecting the keg coupler and then a chopped off bit of line to the quick disconnect with no gas coming out i thought there was no gas left. wrong. After being sprayed with one year old beer that smelt like a mixture of piss, sherry and something worse I went back to the disconnect and gave it a blow each direction to discover that it must have been the gas one with an inbuilt one way valve. One day I might figure out that being a smartarse comes with a price.

Ciderman you're using it as a HLT ? are you going to turn it upside down and use the original hole as a centre drain with a triclover fitting?

printed forms section said:
Ciderman you're using it as a HLT ? are you going to turn it upside down and use the original hole as a centre drain with a triclover fitting?
Hadn't thought about that. Good idea.

printed forms section said:
That would most likely assume you are going electric instead of gas?

Just checking.

Latest posts

Back