Darwiners - where do you get your grain and hops from?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welly2

Reaction score
Any inside tips on where you source your ingredients from? Or is it a case of it costing the same wherever you buy from? I had a look at Ozbrew and almost choked at the prices of their grain and hops (the limited offerings they do have) - literally double the price. But then it might even out based on the cost of shipping I've priced up so far.

Specialty grains or base malt?

Base malt I buy in 25 KG sacks and truck them up 3-4 at a time, costs about $80 for cartage. Store in 25L air tight plastic drums from Bunnings, holds about 15KG grain per drum.

Specialty malt I buy 5KG total of whatever grains I want to fill a 5KG Auspost satchel (most economical).

Hops I buy in 500g bulk bags and vacuum seal in 50g portions.

From whichever store has what I want for the lowest price, but I will pay a premium for the freshest hops.

You know for this sort of stuff and the fact that Darwin is a waste land when it comes to buying anything. You guys just start a brew club (even if it's just on the forums) and then you can organise mini bulk buys from time to time. You may all just save some money..

slash22000 said:
Specialty grains or base malt?

Base malt I buy in 25 KG sacks and truck them up 3-4 at a time, costs about $80 for cartage. Store in 25L air tight plastic drums from Bunnings, holds about 15KG grain per drum.

Specialty malt I buy 5KG total of whatever grains I want to fill a 5KG Auspost satchel (most economical).

Hops I buy in 500g bulk bags and vacuum seal in 50g portions.

From whichever store has what I want for the lowest price, but I will pay a premium for the freshest hops.
Both really.

That's probably not a bad idea. It'd mean getting a milling machine up and running but it sounds like makes sense to do that. How long will the unmilled grain last for (in an air tight plastic drum)?

Tahoose said:
You know for this sort of stuff and the fact that Darwin is a waste land when it comes to buying anything. You guys just start a brew club (even if it's just on the forums) and then you can organise mini bulk buys from time to time. You may all just save some money..
This is a great idea.

welly2 said:
It'd mean getting a milling machine up and running but it sounds like makes sense to do that. How long will the unmilled grain last for (in an air tight plastic drum)?
Mill pays for itself soon enough with the $$$ saving on bulk grain. How long does it last, good question, long enough you will use it all before it goes bad if you brew with any sort of regularity. Keep it dark/dry and it'll last 12 - 18 months easy.

Just don't do what I did and leave a few KG of grain in the sack thinking "I'll put it away later". ******* 2 days later, it was completely infested with insects, had to ditch the lot of it.

slash22000 said:
Mill pays for itself soon enough with the $$$ saving on bulk grain. How long does it last, good question, long enough you will use it all before it goes bad if you brew with any sort of regularity. Keep it dark/dry and it'll last 12 - 18 months easy.

Just don't do what I did and leave a few KG of grain in the sack thinking "I'll put it away later". ******* 2 days later, it was completely infested with insects, had to ditch the lot of it.
Maybe I'll have to grab a mill at some point soon then. If you're planning on stocking up any time in the near future, let me know if I can stick an extra bag or two on your order and chip in for delivery! :)

Back