Dark Strong Belgian Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SergeMarx

Reaction score
Righto,

Malt
Vienna Malt 13.8%
Carafa @ Type 3 0.5%
Pilsen 33.8%
Aromatic 4.6%
Dark Candi Syrup (home-made) 17%
Brown Sugar 15%
LDME 15%

Step Mash - 57 for 15min, 63 for 45, 74 for 25

Challenger 60min to 7.3 IBU
Styrian Goldings 20 min to 1.7 IBU

1 pkt T-58, rehydrated

OG 1.110

So, fermenting at 20C +/- 1C since last Sunday. I did a gravity test today and noted the yeast had mostly flocced and it's down to 1.030, which is a good drop, but not enough - I want to get closer to 1.010 (or below) to really dry this sucker out and bring up to the target alc (about 13%)

I've raised the temp up to 22C but not convinced that will do the trick. Tempted to add some rehydrated "Distinct" yeast - a strain I got from Mark's Homebrew but have read nothing about, except on his site where it is said to be high alc performer.

Obviously I won't make any more changes for another 7 days or so, I suspect there's still sugar munching going on at a slower rate - but should I be prepared to drop more yeast do youse reckon?

1 pack in 1100 OG? I reckon you sold your yeast short.

If adding more, make an active starter first.

I thought so too, but based it on Mr malt calc, and rehydrated. Do folks generally make starters from dried yeast?

No not generally but it can work well for stalled ferments.

I reckon you clicked something wrong in Mr Malty.

SergeMarx said:
I should add the volume was 13 litres, not a full batch
That makes a big difference. Still might want to double check calcs to be sure.

You could probably afford to let the temperatures creep up a bit also. Did you have a look through brew like a monk? Sometimes they get over 30C (those crazy monks)
You might find some other ideas in the book too.

How does it taste? If it tastes great I would just leave it and adjust next time.

Sometimes pitching an aggressive yeast can strip malt flavour and character. You need to balance that alcohol out.

Don't you - or anybody - think 32% sugaz is a bit on the heavy side?
From memory, even the monks of BLAM only go to about 20% tops.

I've got a few bottles hanging round the garage that taste like date infused paint stripper.
Just sayin.

Dave70 said:
Don't you - or anybody - think 32% sugaz is a bit on the heavy side?
You may be right - however just following a recipe here. Having said that there's a world of difference between BDCS and table sugar or dex.

Markbeer said:
How does it taste? If it tastes great I would just leave it and adjust next time.

Sometimes pitching an aggressive yeast can strip malt flavour and character. You need to balance that alcohol out.
Fair point. Well, it tastes as you'd expect a 1.030 beer holding 10% alc would taste. Sweet hot and spicy (from the t58 one presumes) - the candi is coming out well though i think the brown sugar is giving some slight burnt flavours. It'll be very different if i can get it down

so, this one is still sitting there at 1.030 and it's time get off my lazy ass and do something about it. Decided on making a starter from Wyeast 3711 and getting that in there in the hope it will move it along to the desired profile. Might funk it up a bit, but meh, better than the peppery boozy sugar it is right now.

SO, a month on I pitched the 3711. Made up a small beer, upped the styrian measure in that one and pitched the new yeast in there. Left it over night and have now dumped the whole shebang into the quad. All calculations up the creek, just going to have to wait and see, Through the looking glass here!

slcmorro said:
You'll still make beer. You'll learn more every brew. Relax.
Oh I'm relaxed, worst case scenario is I blend it back with something else later. Best case is it ferments away and comes out awesome. If it's not true to a style, I'll rename the fucker. (which reminds me I need to brew two proper saisons so I can call one "Duck Saison and t'other Rabbit Saison"

Got plenty of brews under my belt, but adjusting a brew like this post fermentation is pretty new to me, so enjoying it. Reckon I'll draw another sample in a week or so and see what's happening.

MaltyHops said:
You're using hydrometer or refractometer to measure SG?
Hydrometer. Don't even own a refractometer but suspect the high alcohol would skew it anyway?

My last dark strong stalled at around 1025. Warmed it, racked it, added an active starter of same yeast, still stalled. Then made an active starter with 1388 as I think alcohol tolerance may have been an issue and the 1388 had the highest I could find short of a wine yeast.

Worked - got it to 1012.

Saison is super attenuative but not sure of alc. tolerance so if that's an issue and the 3711 doesn't cut it, try 1388. Active starter.

With belgians, alcohol tolerance and temperature are very important because you're often dealing with high gravity worts. You have a very fermentable wort - you should get 90%+ attenuation with 30% sugar and a very fermentable mash profile.

My guess is it's alcohol tolerance. T-58 is 11.5% -- you're trying to brew a 13-14% ABV beer.

Temperature is also a consideration, T58 range is up to 24C, it's often difficult to keep temperature under control with a high gravity wort. Most belgian brewers pitch at 17-18C, and then let it slowly rise. The yeast will crash if it gets too warm and if you don't have good temperature control it's hard to stop it running away from you.

Latest posts

Back