Dark Rye Bread Made With American Ale Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having a conical fermenter, I have always wanted to harvest some of the yeast and use it to make bread.
I figured that I needed about as much as normal wet yeast to make a loaf. The beer was an American Pale Ale with about 32 IBU and some late hop additions (straight from some Cascade hop plants).

Well, this Sunday it was a week into fermentation and most of the hops had already settled out and was discarded throughout the week so I decided to give it a try.

Recipe as follows:
600 grams of dark rye pre-mix
360 ml water
2 tablespoons of American Ale yeast sludge fresh from the fermenter

The loaf turned out OK and tasted quite good, however there was still quite a bitter hop taste in the bread.

Tasted quite nice with some salami and a nice beer to wash it all down.

Next time I will harvest some Wheat Beer yeast with a lightly hopped beer.

Cheers

Roller

Hey,

I've tried using different beer yeasts to make bread and results have been ok, but IMHO not as tasty as with proper bread yeast. I don't mind using grains from AG brew in bread (eg. 2.5 cups of flour + 1.5 cup of used grains from AG + 1 tablespoon of sugar + 1 teaspoon of bread yeast). Bread turns out noice.

Beers,
b

Having a conical fermenter, I have always wanted to harvest some of the yeast and use it to make bread.
I figured that I needed about as much as normal wet yeast to make a loaf. The beer was an American Pale Ale with about 32 IBU and some late hop additions (straight from some Cascade hop plants).

Well, this Sunday it was a week into fermentation and most of the hops had already settled out and was discarded throughout the week so I decided to give it a try.

Recipe as follows:
600 grams of dark rye pre-mix
360 ml water
2 tablespoons of American Ale yeast sludge fresh from the fermenter

The loaf turned out OK and tasted quite good, however there was still quite a bitter hop taste in the bread.

Tasted quite nice with some salami and a nice beer to wash it all down.

Next time I will harvest some Wheat Beer yeast with a lightly hopped beer.

Cheers

Roller

im trying a sourdough at the moment with lambic yeast. a bit slow to rise but getting there... will bake tonight hopefully it works

im trying a sourdough at the moment with lambic yeast. a bit slow to rise but getting there... will bake tonight hopefully it works

Did you raise a sourdough culture or use straight lambic yeast as the culture?
I have always been wanting to make sourdough bread. In Victoria they had "Peter Vann the Bread Man" shops for a few years and they sold sourdough extract which was awesome as it made a normal bread taste very similar to a sourdough bread. Unfortunately the bread supply chain ceased to operate in Victoria so I might have to look at raising a real sourdough culture.

The bread I made was more tasty with the yeast that was used for the fermentation than the bread normally tastes. It didn't rise to anywhere near the same degree but I like a very dense rye so that was quite good. The only thing that was not ideal was the bitterness.

i used gunge out of the bottom of a fermenting lambic and just threw that into some flour and water. seemed to have risen nicely this afternoon after 48hrs of sitting there. i have no idea about sourdough but as i understand it lactobacillus and saccharomyces are the two main fellers you want in there, and i reckon the pedio could help too. not sure if there is much lacto in lambic but there should be some on the flour itself - it just needs time and warm weather to get going.

in the oven now so dunno what it will turn out like. will post a photo.

i used gunge out of the bottom of a fermenting lambic and just threw that into some flour and water. seemed to have risen nicely this afternoon after 48hrs of sitting there. i have no idea about sourdough but as i understand it lactobacillus and saccharomyces are the two main fellers you want in there, and i reckon the pedio could help too. not sure if there is much lacto in lambic but there should be some on the flour itself - it just needs time and warm weather to get going.

in the oven now so dunno what it will turn out like. will post a photo.

Looking at the following website it looks all a bit hard to go down the path of a fully fledged sourdough.
http://sourdough.com/blog/sourdom/beginner...starter-scratchhttps://sourdough.com/shop/sourdough-starter/organic-sourdough-wheat-starter

http://www.wildyeastblog.com/I wish Peter Vann the Bread Man was still around
Let me know what it tastes like. Would be interesting to see how close it gets to a standard sourdough.

hmm think i will get some active sourdough starter off my friend.... turned out a flat brown disc. very tasty but 100% crust! either i needed to grow the starter with flour for a while first or i was barking up the wrong tree there. definitely did get some fermentation (i could smell it and it had risen a bit - evidently not enough). will keep on trying...
if i think back to my first batch of beer that was pretty bad too. surely bread can't be as hard as beer.

hmm think i will get some active sourdough starter off my friend.... turned out a flat brown disc. very tasty but 100% crust! either i needed to grow the starter with flour for a while first or i was barking up the wrong tree there. definitely did get some fermentation (i could smell it and it had risen a bit - evidently not enough). will keep on trying...
if i think back to my first batch of beer that was pretty bad too. surely bread can't be as hard as beer.

Sometimes the amount of water that is in the dough makes a bit of a difference as well. My dough was a bit wetter than normal which makes it hard work for the yeast with dark rye.
If you have access to sourdough starter then go for it. I have to find someone nearby to try it out or go through the labourious process of making my own. There is plenty of instructions out there on how to make it, however there are none that are achievable in a short timeframe of a day or so from what I have seen :-(

Back