Dark IPA using Tooheys Dark Ale kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicksim_f

Reaction score
I'm trying to come up with a cheap, tasty, and easy recipe for a beer that tastes something like an American Dark IPA. I've come up with the following recipe, but wanted to see what all you thought first, since I'm only a newbie at this.

Aussie Dark IPA
1 can Tooheys Dark Ale
1kg Carapils grain, steeped at 70 degrees for 30 minutes
300g dextrose
Hop schedule:
25g Cascade (6.7%) at 25mins
25g Cascade (6.7%) at 15mins
25g Cascade (6.7%) dry-hopped after 4 days.
Target IBU: 40

Does that sound sensible, or am I way off the mark? I will probably just try the kit yeast to begin with, since my plan is to make something cheap and decent, but am aware that I may be better off using SAF ale US-05 or similar.

No expert but I'd say that 1kg carapils is way too much since it's a specialty grain and won't bring many fermentable sugars. I'm sure someone should be able to give you something to work with. Good luck and welcome aboard!

If your going to steep at 70c for 30 mins why not do a mini mash with some pale malt at 64c for 60 mins? 1 kg of crystal malt is a lot! Btw is the overall IBU's including the prehopped can? If you haven't it might come out unbalanced.

Latest posts

Back