Dark Ipa Toucan Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maz91379

Reaction score
Been away from homebrew for awhile any advice on where to start something between an american ipa and dark/nut brown ale that tastes like christmas ? Want a strong resiny pine aroma not too bitter and maybe some citrusy/tropical fruit as well.
If anyone has had Epic Armageddon that's kind of what i'm going for but with more of a malt & nut & spicy christmas thing. Higher alcohol content (6-8%) would be preferable but not super important.

So what do i use as the toucan base a dark ale and a pale and then dry hop with something or other? Yeast?

Check my dark ale thread, that should get you pretty close. I would boil up your spices in water with priming sugar and use it to prime to keep as much of their flavour as possible. Choose a chrismassy combo. Nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and (just a little) clove go well together. To up the alcohol / molasses flavour try adding 500g of dark brown sugar or golden syrup.

Adjust with the help of pros. Not sure which hop, someone will though.

Check my dark ale thread, that should get you pretty close. I would boil up your spices in water with priming sugar and use it to prime to keep as much of their flavour as possible. Choose a chrismassy combo. Nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and (just a little) clove go well together. To up the alcohol / molasses flavour try adding 500g of dark brown sugar or golden syrup.

Adjust with the help of pros. Not sure which hop, someone will though.

I always overdo spices though and i want to do a pumpkin ale after this one so basically asking what combination of hops will give me spicyness + piney

Would a hop tea of cluster,willamette,or liberty (depending on what my home brew store has on hand)

and then southern cross dry hopped get me around where i want?

Latest posts

Back