Damn It...bloody Plastic Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbirbeck

Reaction score
what are the chances a very strong plastic taste will dissipate??

I did up a double batch of a Pils, the mash went well, the boil went well the drain went well. I no-chill so I drained from the kettle to my 'new' fermenter drain temp was about 60 degrees. I got the fermenter around Christmas time and had used it to store sterilizer for my other smaller fermenters. It had a slight plastic smell when i got it, but it had been well aired, stored the sterilizer, used for racking and used for bottling a few times. No plastic smell in the fermenter. No plastic taste in the brews that had run through it. I thought I was in the clear...

BUT, the pils I just did, it smells and tastes like I've set fire to plastic and dropped it in the brew :( . Smell and taste going into the fermenter was fine.

I have kind of accepted the fact that I've stuffed it and perhaps should have run hot water into the fermenter to get rid of the taste/smell... But, I'm happy to let it sit if there is a chance the plastic taste will dissipate. Any chance?

Is this post fermentation? It could either be from the fermenter or phenolics produced by the yeast (most likely an unwanted yeast, i.e. an infection). Would a bandaid-like smell be an appropriate description?

Before putting precious brew in any new plastic containers, throw a few litres of boiling water in and give it a shake (carefully!). Let it cool, draw off some water and smell/taste it.

Yep post fermentation (although I didn't taste during ferm...). Yeast was a reculture of a Wyeast Munich. Fermented perhaps a tad higher than ideal (around 18 deg). It tastes just as it smells if you were to set fire to a ball of glad wrap or you chucked in a PET bottle into a bonfire. I didn't get a bandaid taste, but I'll give it another taste when I get home tonight.

Will be giving my second new fermenter a good boiling/hot water treatment, and the first will get another one before I do the replacement brew.

thanks.

Latest posts

Back