Czech Pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marky_mark

Reaction score
I'm looking at putting down another full extract czech pilsner and have heard a few things about using some dextrose instead of some of the light DME to counter the uncharacteristic mouthfeel one gets with a full extract pilsner. Can anyone give me an idea as to the quantities of DME/dextrose i should use?

What are the thoughts on producing an authentic czech pilsner with extract? Should I consider some grains perhaps (steep or mash)...

Cheers,

Mark

I don't want to sound like a grain snob here but in my opinion its going to be pretty hard to really nail the czech pils style with all extract (or a combination of extract and dextrose). I would highly recommend using some grains. Only problem is where do you stop? If you do a partial, why not just add a bit more grain, and then a bit more, until you end up with an all grain batch!! If you have the know-how and equipment etc, I would try to get at least half your fermentables from grain. And by grain, I mean pilsner malt. It must be mashed (steeping will not work). But as I said, once you are mashing grains for half your fermentables, why not just mash grains for all your fermentables?!

I can't imagine that's what you wanted to hear... :p but you'll love the result. I think extract brewing can produce some great beers, but where extract gets the best results is with darker beers. Lighter beers are much harder to pull off with extract. Having said that, you will probably get something that is a great beer, but I doubt it will be the quintessential pilsner. I think grains are needed for that. If there is any style where grains are clearly superior to extract, I think it is something like pilsner.

Good luck with it!!

Thanks for the advice T.D.
Looks like its time for me to jump on the partial band wagon :D

Cheers :beer:

I agree with TD ....your not going to nail that pils style with a kit only nad some dextrose, If your going to go the part mash way I would mash it at a lower temp 62-64 to get some crispness in the beer, and to help over come that kit mouthfeel...Also getting the hops in there well and truly will help out getting rid of the kit flavor

I'm a little new to the whole mashing concept and i was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of an effective way of partial mashing some pils malt.

I use a 19L pot for one hour boils at around 15L full. Usually I add half the bittering hops with the light malt extract when the water is at about 80 degrees C. This brings the temps down a bit to around 70 degrees and allows the hops to steep for about 20 min as the wort comes back to the boil.

I'm really keen to nail the classic style and colour of this wonderful beer :D

cheers guys.

I think the best advice you could get is from "How To Brew" by Palmer. Get yourself a hard copy or read it online How To Brew.

Back