Czech Pilsner Kit - Temperature fluctuation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushman ben

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thinking about doing a Czech Pilsner; Its the other half's favourite style of beer. I'll be fermenting in the 2nd bedroom of my house where the air temp sits between 10 and 15 degrees (possibly 16 on a warm day) day in day out as the door is always shut and that part of the house is typically closed off. I dont have a fermenting / Largering fridge at the moment as this will only be my 3rd home-brew but would like to give a larger style beer a stab.

Before I go and buy a kit and start on this pilsner, I wanted to see what everybody's thoughts are on that kind of temp fluctuation, I appreciate that the Wort wont go up and down as easily as the air temp; but I would be pretty disappointed if I screwed it up. Prior preparation prevents piss poor performance and all that.

with that temp fluctuation (remember wort temp will be higher than ambient) I wouldn't use a lager yeast, you could use an ale yeast (us-05) and ferment low.

or Some people (including brew on premise places) use S-189 around 18 to 19 so could use that yeast.

The fancy coopers lager/pils kit yeast is rumoured to be s23 or s189, both of which should work just fine at your max temp of 16.

mxd said:
with that temp fluctuation (remember wort temp will be higher than ambient)
I had no idea that the wort would sit higher than ambient. Is that due to the exothermic nature of the sugar to alcohol conversion by the yeast?

If I do use a S23 / S189, what will the flavour effects on the beer be?

bushman ben said:
I had no idea that the wort would sit higher than ambient. Is that due to the exothermic nature of the sugar to alcohol conversion by the yeast?

If I do use a S23 / S189, what will the flavour effects on the beer be?
Yes. Up to ~4C higher than ambient, depending on acitvity.

S23 or S189 will give a better lager than the kit yeast. However, making "real" lagers from kits is very difficult, as there's little for undesirable flavours to hide behind. Taking a kit and throwing 100g of hops at it and making a pale ale is a different thing altogether.

Right, Thanks Nick; Sounds like I should wait another brew or two until I feel I'm ready for an all-grain and have a ferment fridge and do it then. I'm not one for "nearly" good enough, I'd rather wait and do it right. sounds like I might do an APA next

Alternatively, do you think something like the "Daves stove top kit" from daves home brew would produce a reasonably good pilsner in those circumstances (subbing the yeast) because it does have the Carapils and Munich grains?

------

Dave's Stove Top Brewery Czech Pilsner
Contains all the malt extract,Carapils & Munich grain, Saaz hops, irish moss & yeast to make 19L of Czech Pilsner.

edit: Removed me repeating myself!

Key to makiing a great extract Pils is the base malt extract. Get the best stuff you can get. Briess pale might actually be made from pilsner malt IIRC.

Mashing yourself with a Czech base malt (Boh Pils) has a lot of to with that signature Czech flavour. People often think it's the Saaz.

Nick JD said:
Key to makiing a great extract Pils is the base malt extract. Get the best stuff you can get. Briess pale might actually be made from pilsner malt IIRC.

Mashing yourself with a Czech base malt (Boh Pils) has a lot of to with that signature Czech flavour. People often think it's the Saaz.
Yes I agree but it is the Saaz too. One cant be without the other.
Nev

You could try a fresh wort kit (FWK) from Grain & Grape or Keg King (if you're in Melbourne).

Just add yeast and you're shiny.

You can maintain a more constant wort temp by immersing your fermenter in a large container of water (sink, tub etc) and filling it with ice bricks. Get the wort at least 2 or 3 degrees below intended ferment temp and replace the ice bricks for at least the first 4 days.

Less likely to fluctuate as the thermal mass of that amount of liquid is harder to shift and the water insulates the fermenter.

+1

By the time you've bought all the extract and hops and grains it's not much more for a FWK.

Since it's the other half's favourite brew another plus with the FWK is that they might be begging you to buy a bunch more brewing stuff (fridge, AG pots etc) so that you can make more beer like that cheaper!

Back