Curry Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sinkas said:
Sounds good,
I am surprised to hear that there is such a difference between pommy and aussie "indian" cooking. pommy immigrants always complain that local indian is "too indian"
many aussie indian restaurants, simply fry off meats then simmer in sauces out of huge cans/cubes
Indian restaurant food here is WA is pretty average, very "samey", there is one great restaurant nearby, thankfully
There's a British Indian Restaurant British Indian 2 Go at Kingsley. He's on our Curry Forum and uses the BIR method using the onion based gravy. Bit far to go from my end of the continent but seems to be doing ok.

Bribie G said:
There's a British Indian Restaurant British Indian 2 Go at Kingsley. He's on our Curry Forum and uses the BIR method using the onion based gravy. Bit far to go from my end of the continent but seems to be doing ok.
Menu looks good, I might check it out. We have some mates in that neck of the woods so it could be a good plan.
Beer and curry, all the food groups.

Tropical_Brews said:
I miss a good Onion Bhaji from the U.K. curry shops.
http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/onion-bhaji-recipe
Absolutely dead simple, I often make them although they are a bit evil as they contain a lot of veg oil.

Mind, you'd need to scale it down a bit because after 20 Bhajis you'd be banished to sleep in the spare room. :lol:
A couple of the ingredients might be a bit hard up your way, Kasuri Methi (dried fenugreek) and mix powder (Keens would be a pretty good sub, or Clive of India).
Gram flour (Besan, chickpea) is usually at any good deli, health food or even IGA stores in the psyllium and hipster grains section.

If you decide to give it a crack I can post you some Kasuri Methi, I grow it and dry it myself.

Edit: I don't have a deep fryer, I use a wok with a couple of litres of oil and the slotted spoon to lift them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking recipe. Plenty of asian groceries here so should be able to source the ingredients. Bit like peanuts and cashews once you start eating cannot stop. Go through a box of pappadams at each meal.

coconut Madras Beef Curry recipe
Ingredients :
2 tablespoons olive oil
1kg chuck steak, cut into 2.5cm cubes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup beef stock
300ml Coconut Cream

For the Madras Curry Paste :
2 tablespoons ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 teaspoons grated ginger
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

Combined the Curry Paste ingredients together in a bowl and set aside to add to the browned beef.

Directions

1.Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add half the beef. Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
Repeat with remaining oil and beef. Reduce heat to medium.
2. Add spice paste. Cook for 1 minute. Return beef to saucepan. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until meat is coated with paste.
3. Add tomato paste and stock. Bring to the boil. Add coconut cream and Reduce heat to low.
Cover and cook for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until beef is tender.
4. Cook, uncovered, for a further 15 minutes, or until sauce has reduced and thickened slightly.
Serve with rice and raita. Top with mint leaves.

image.jpg

image.jpg

My Vindaloo.

2 dried chillies
1 1/2 tsp cumin seed
1 tsp peppercorns
1 tsp green cardamon
2 black cardamon
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp mustard seed - I have used both black and yellow
1 tbl coriander seed
1 tsp fenugreek seed
5 cloves

dry fry that lot, add the fenugreek late as it can burn.
cool, grind

1 tsp turmeric
1 tbl kashmiri chilli powder

fry in oil / ghee / butter / mustard seed oil
2 large onions - until brown
stem curry leaves
curry powder
1 inch ginger
1 head garlic
chillies - I use 2 x naga's which makes this very hot

500 / 800 grams pork / goat / chicken / beef added next.
brown.

1/3 cup malt vinegar - or vinegar of choice, probably not balsamic though
1 tin of tomatoes.
Cook until cooked.

eat.

oh, salt to taste too.

Thanks for that indica, I'm not a restaurant curry style nazi, I have all that in stock in pantry and freezer, and I'll make that exact recipe on Goat curry pieces and report :)

A dead easy one:

Potatoes - peeled and kinda cubed
Fenugreek (methi) leaves - green or dried (kasoori)
Salt
Chilli powder
A few spoons of oil

Basically, peel the potatoes and toss them into the pot with a spoon or so of oil. Season with salt and chilli powder to taste. Lid on and let the potatoes go tenderish. Add fenugreek leaves somewhat halfway through that process - the fenugreek spices the potatoes not the other way around, mix and lid back on. Done.

Methi aloo. Something your local Indian won't serve (universally boring Indian restaurant).

Spose I should put this in the right spot-

Butter Shicken.

1kg chicken breast, cut into 4 cm cubes
2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp ground coriander
3/4 tsp chilli powder
3 tsp grated ginger
3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbs white vinegar
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup yoghurt
80gm butter
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 cinnamon stick
4 cardamom pods, bruised
1 tsp salt
3 tsp sweet paprika
425 tomato puree 3/4 cup chicken stock
1 cup cream

1.Combine ground spices, ginger, garlic, vinegar, paste and yoghurt in large bowl, add chicken, coat with marinade and refridgerate over night. (12 hours is ok)
2. Heat butter in pan, add onion, cinnamon and cardomom, cook, stirring til onion is browned lightly. Add chicken and cook for 10 minutes whilst stirring.
3. Add salt, paprika (I sometimes put the paprika in the marinade) puree and stock and simmer, uncovered for around 40 minutes. Add cream, simmer about 15 minutes or until chicken is tender.

This is always a winner!

I won't actually add a proper recipe here, but something a lot of my inlaws absolutely love is this thing called a bunny chow - essentially take a cob loaf, much like we do with that delicious creamy bacon and onion filling, ditch that and fill it with curry, preferably something reasonably spicy. Add some IPA's and you've got a stunner feed. Also I will link a recipe now because this one works really well in a cob loaf, especially when you beef up the chilli content:

http://www.ecurry.com/blog/indian/curries/gravies/murgh-makhani-butter-chicken/

That's a really good idea fattox. I've got some mates that would much prefer a curry cob (myself included) instead of the usual spinach/cheesey/creamy bacon filling.

On a side note, I'm loving having containers full of curry base in the freezer. Made a curry last night with a container of the base, some lamb marinated in yoghurt and spices overnight cooked with some extra spices and vegies. So simple and so delicious. A little bit of cooking of the spices and meat, thrown into a crock pot and put in the oven for 2 hours.

Bunny chow is one of the national dishes of South Africa, there's a restaurant in Surry Hills sells them, must pop in next time.

Sounds like your'e in the groove there Sponge, cheers ,

Beachbum ;)

TBH I had never heard of bunny chow until now.

Jesus! If I could find a place in Wollongong that sold it I may have just found a substitute for my usual CBF-cooking-weekend-lunch of vietnamese pork/chicken rolls and steamed pork buns.

That, or I'll just have to make one at home. Cheers BB :lol:

fattox said:
I won't actually add a proper recipe here, but something a lot of my inlaws absolutely love is this thing called a bunny chow - essentially take a cob loaf, much like we do with that delicious creamy bacon and onion filling, ditch that and fill it with curry, preferably something reasonably spicy. Add some IPA's and you've got a stunner feed. Also I will link a recipe now because this one works really well in a cob loaf, especially when you beef up the chilli content:

http://www.ecurry.com/blog/indian/curries/gravies/murgh-makhani-butter-chicken/
Thanks, that's a very good blog, found a couple of rippers already. Favourited.

Bribie G said:
Bunny chow is one of the national dishes of South Africa, there's a restaurant in Surry Hills sells them, must pop in next time.
Any chance I can have the name of said place? always looking for new food places around home

Thanks

Hopefully it's in walking distance of the local taphouse..

It's Lucky Tsotsi - 245 Oxford Street Darlinghurst, there's also now Durban Dish at Baulkham Hills.

Dear lord... 450m from the taphouse. I know where I'll be going with the mrs when we're in sydney in a couple of weeks.

Latest posts

Back