Curry Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight's pre-brew-club-meeting snack:
ricecurry2.jpg

While posting two such meals in only a couple of days might make it look like I live on the things, I don't. :)
However, SWMBO won't even think about eating any of the real-recipes posted above, so there is little chance of such food when I cook for us both.
When I'm not cooking for us both, I can't be bothered cooking real-food, so it has to be something quick and easy, and these are also cheap and much better for me than usual quick/snack foods.

Some of those packs you get from the little spice shops are really good.

I have always wanted to make a decent Biryani at home but have always expected to to be painfully laborious. I can tell you now from experience, its one of the easiest meals to prepare you just have to be willing to wait 45 mins for it to cook. A set and forget one pot wonder (if you re-use the pot you boiled the rice in.)

That is definitely on the "next to make" list, never tried it, sounds awesome!!

Might have a go at the Samosas too

Mrs warra and I have been married for 37 years, and never ever have we participated in curry. We've had lots of other activities and proclivities, but never curry. Nor shall we ever.

Those who partake of the curry are never the same... curry.. changes a man.... (and his bowl movements)
laugh.gif

Another thing I love with a good curry is some doubles bread, I don't make them Trinidad style with the chick pea curry and sauce etc but they make great breads on they're own.

Doubles Bread

2 Cups plain flour
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 curry powder (madras is good but whatever you've got)
1 teaspoon yeast

1) Activate the yeast in 1/3 cup of warm water

2) Add yeast and another 1/3 cup of water to the mixed dry ingredients and stir (add more water if you find you need it, you want to be able to kneed it)

3) Kneed the bread into a ball, cover and leave somewhere warm for an hour

4) Rip off small handfuls of the the dough and roll into balls and flatten them out with a rolling pin, round as poss, you want them fairly flat (about 3-4mm thick)

5) Shallow fry the buggers and stack them with plenty of paper towel between them (they'll blow up like balls when they hit the oil, so give them a good stabbing when they look like they're going to pop)

6) Eat them fresh as possible, I usually make a curry the night before then heat it up so you've got time to make breads & sides on curry night

Curry Recipes, Got a goodun?

No sir, what you ask for doesn't exist.
Curry is the ultimate in evil in food.

Thanks for the laugh!

Mrs warra and I have been married for 37 years, and never ever have we participated in curry. We've had lots of other activities and proclivities, but never curry. Nor shall we ever.

Wot, never had a Rijstaffel?

I'm a big fan of British Indian Restaurant and Australian Indian Restaurant cooking.

Recipes are very similar - chicken Madras etc - but methods completely different. The Poms base their curry on a sauce of spiced boiled onions that are blended to a "soup" and this is used for a universal base gravy, with other spices and precooked meats depending on the dish, then cooked to thicken. Onions, and masses of them, are at the heart of the cuisine.

Aussie Indian restaurants make their gravies from caramelised onions and tomato puree then various base gravies are "split off" from the main batch by adding the likes of vinegar or ground almonds/cashews or dried coconut milk. At cooking time the gravies and precooked meats are spiced further then thinned out with stock, and other ingredients added such as masses of cream for Butter Chicken, masses of Chilli for Vindaloo etc.

With my own home attempts I really prefer the Aussie version - the Pom varieties are delicious but a bit "samey". The cooking process will be on display at Winkle's case swap, I'm doing lunch and will bring the bases, precooked meat, stocks, my spice "library" etc and assemble / cook batches on the fly as the customers ply me with stupefying liquors. :icon_cheers:

The Ipswich Brewers Union has a Curry and Strong Ale Night coming up next friday at our Treasurers place (1 acre block all out the back in tents) I'm doing a malaysian chicken curry with rotis and have an american double IPA 9.5% to accompany. I'll post some pics of the night on this thread.

cheers

Browndog

Well the Ipswich Brewers Union's Strong Ale and Curry Night was tops, some great beer, curries and flat bread were had. There were a couple of Malay chicken curries, a vindaloo but the stand out was Bonjs Rendang beef curry it was absolutely delicious and I demand he post the recipe for everyone here. Daemon's home made naan was great too cooked on a thick skillet over a nasa burner would you believe.

Dsc00919.jpg

Dsc00920.jpg

Dsc00921.jpg
Bonj's Rendang

cheers

Browndog

Here's our recipe for a Vindaloo Curry.

Vindaloo Curry

500 g Pork or Beef cubed

1 tblsp Oil

2 large onions

2 cups Chicken Stock

Vindaloo Paste

2 tsp Cumin

3 tsp Chilli Powder

2 tsp Mustard Seed

3 tsp Minced Garlic

1.5 tsp Ground Cinnamon

1/3 cup White Vinegar

1 tsp sugar

1 tsp Ground Cardamon

2 tsp Turmeric

1/2 tsp Ground Cloves

1 tblsp Cracked Black pepper

1 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger

Combine all paste ingredients in a small bowl, mix well and let stand for 30 minutes.

Method

Heat oil, cook meat in small batches until browned. Remove. Add Onions and cook until soft. Add vindaloo paste, cook, stirring until fragrant. Return meat to pan add stock and simmer until meat tender stirring occasionally.

If you like it really hot like me then double the ingredients for the vindaloo paste.

Nice pics mate. I've got tandoori chicken with yoghurt and lime juice marinating for when I get home tonight. Probably have on some soft rolls with coriander.

for the pork vindaloo
18 oz pork belly (cut into bite sized chunks)
18 oz boneless pork shoulder (cut into bite sized chunks)
1 head of garlic (crushed, preferably in a mortar and pestle)
2.01 inches piece of fresh gingerroot (crushed)
5 medium onions (finely sliced)
5 medium tomatoes (finely sliced - the tasteless run of the mill supermarket ones work well for this)
2 ½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil
for the whole masala
4 cinnamon sticks (1 inch each)
5 cloves
4 lightly crushed cardamom pods
6 dried bay leaves
for the powdered masala (to be soaked in a little water to stop the chilli from burning)
oz kashmiri chilli powder (this gives intense colour but subtle heat - if using normal red chilli powder, add to taste. cautiously)
½ teaspoon turmeric
2 tablespoons ground cumin
Method

On a low flame in a large saucepan;
Saute onions until translucent Add whole spices and cook until onions are soft and mushy, could take around 15-20 min depending on how thin the onion slices are.
Add garlic, cook for one minute, then add ginger and saute for another minute.
Add the powdered wet masala and mix well. Bung in the tomatoes with a pinch of salt and cook until its a mushy paste.
Turn up the heat to high and add the meat and fry to seal it.
Add the vinegar and the correct amount of salt for the dish (measure is up to you), then slowly add water to just cover it and once it's up to the boil, stir to mix.
Cook until tender which for me takes around 1.5 to 2 hrs. (More water can be added it you feel it needs it. The final liquid "feel" should be slightly thick enough to scoop with a naan bread. Mom describes it as fluffy!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Kori Gashi (chicken in thick coconut gravy)

This dish hails from my neck of the woods - and requires fresh coconut and curry leaves for optimal flavor. I had only frozen versions of both. Camellia's recipe doesn't require this, but I also pre-fried the chicken in a tablespoon of ghee to give it a buttery aroma. The result was well worth the improvisations and the recipe below reflects them.

1 cup frozen grated coconut
1 can coconut milk
5 tablespoons oil
12 dried red chillies
4 tsp coriander seeds
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
2 inch stick of cinnamon
1 tsp cumin seeds
8-10 black peppercorns
4 cloves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp tamarind pulp
2 medium onions
2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
2 1/2 lbs chicken thighs & drumsticks
1 tbsp ghee
10-12 curry leaves

Put one tablespoon of oil in a small saucepan or skillet. Saute grated coconut in it over low heat for about five minutes until slightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.

In the same skillet, add another tablespoon of oil and saute red chillies, coriander, mustard and fenugreek seeds, cinnamon, cumin seeds, peppercorns, cloves and turmeric powder. Stir continously for 3-4 minutes until you get the aroma of the spices, and remove from heat.

Note: The original recipe calls for adding the above one by one into the skillet - but I didn't have the patience and the end product turned out fine despite my having tossed everything in at the same time.

Chop the onions into small pieces.

Once the spices have cooled, toss them into a blender and grind with grated coconut, tamarind pulp, half the chopped onion, ginger-garlic paste and salt to taste. Add in the can of coconut milk and blend until you get a smooth paste.

Heat the remaining oil in a large wok. Add the ghee. Once hot, add the remaining onion and fry until translucent. Then add chicken pieces and coat with the ghee and onion mixture. Fry for about 5-8 minutes. Add the paste from the blender, stir thoroughly and toss in the curry leaves. Add half a cup of water, cover and cook over low heat until the chicken is done, adding a little more water and salt if necessary. Take care that the gravy doesn't get watery.l

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I do a wicked mean green curry.
Pretty much 3 steps.

- 500g Chickylen Thighs
- 400ml Coconut Cream
- 400ml Coconut Milk (I prefer one of each, it create a more thicker sauce. Use 2 creams for an even thicker sauce.)
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 2 tsp Kaffir Lime Leaves (i use the jar shit)
- 1 tbsp Raw Sugar
- 1 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 2 tsp dried chilli flakes / hot cayenne pepper (i prefer extra hot)
- 1 jar green curry sauce (i prefer volcoms)
- 500-750g Greens, whatever, i generally use: 1 Onion, 2 Carrot, 1 Broccoli, Snow Peas, 1 Red Capsicum etc.

Saucytime:
[1]. Combine Lime leaves, sugar, fish sauce, chilli, garlic into a seperate bowl.
2. Heat a LARGE POT (Enough for all ingredients) to 1 million degrees and throw in jar of green curry sauce with oil, let it sizzle for 30secs to aromatise. Put some sexy cooking clothes on while everything gets saucy, dim the lights.
3. Throw in the [1] mix you made above, let simmer a further 10-20 secs to combine.
4. Throw in the coco cream and milk mix, set aside to simmer.... (This brings all flavours together, party time!)

Good idea to simmer for 20+ minutes, generally i start to cut the chicken and prepare the rest at this point.
The longer the simmer, the more the sauce combines, infuses, becomes awesome, conqours pluto.

Chickylentime:
5. Brown chicken in a wok/pan. I generally only 3/4 cook it then throw it straight into the sauce for that green curry heat infusion. It should continue to cook in the simmer sauce.

Greenytime:
6. In the chicken pan, add a bit of water and throw in the greens, you want to steam these bitches with the lid on so the green colours go neon.

7. Once complete, combine all in the sauce pot, simmer for another 2-5 mins to combine saucyness.

Serve with a glass of home-craft-brew per person.

Thai red curry

THE PASTE

Red curry paste

1/3 cup dried Thai chilies
1 Tablespoon + 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
1 heaping Tablespoon (200 grams) garlic cloves
1 pc lemongrass, lower part sliced thinly crosswise
(discard top)
3/4 inch pc of fresh turmeric root (or 1/2 tsp dried)
1 Tablespoon shrimp paste

Pulverize in a granite mortar and pestle the dried chillies, sea salt, garlic, lemongrass and turmeric to a fine paste. Blend in the shrimp paste with a spoon. Set aside.

Freeze any leftover paste up to 2 months in a zip lock bag, in tablespoon size portions, making it easy to add to future curries as needed.

THE CURRY
Red curry

Our homemade red curry paste (all of the recipe) or 3 Tablespoons of prepared red curry paste
4 cups coconut milk
2 lbs (1 kg) small chicken drumsticks or chicken in small pieces (about 1.5" x 2")
3 cups (600 grams) pumpkin pieces (about 1" x 1.5")
2 cups lightly packed fresh sweet basil or 4 kaffir lime leaves

Preparation

Bring coconut milk to a boil in a large pot over high heat, stirring frequently. Just before boiling add the curry paste and stir to blend. Once blended in, add the chicken and pumpkin. Boil until chicken and pumpkin is cooked through, less then 10 minutes. Check the pumpkin by piercing with a sharp knife - it should still be bright orange and retain some firmness (al dente) as it will continue to cook once the heat is turned off. When cooked add the sweet basil leaves or kaffir lime leaves, stir in to mix and then immediately remove from the heat. Season with fish sauce if desired (but not normally needed). Serves 4 people for 2 meals - it is even better the second day when the pumpkin has absorbed some of the curry spices.

Notes: If Thai sweet basil is not available in your area, either omit or substitute other fresh herbs such as coriander or European basil. See our Thai ingredients page for more details. Be sure to visit our grocery for all the fresh Thai herbs you need, including fresh basil, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaf and turmeric root.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Curried Baked Beans On Toast.

Use a medium/mid sized can of Heinz Baked Beans in Ham Sauce for one person serve, not the large/regular can.

Ad 1/2 tsp of Clive of India Madras Curry Powder (i keep it just for this and for the odd sweet curry like curried prawns instead of the better Keens one) and microwave for 1.5 mins in a bowl, stirring every 30 secs.

Meanwhile cook three slices of wholegrain high top from the bakers in a toaster till soft but with some colour, spread with butter or magarine and pour the beans over the top.

eat with gusto.

HealthyIfLargeBreakfastPunkin

Ooroomas Badun
(Fried Pork Curry)

Hard to pronounce...easy to make. This is one of my favourites. I make it using pork belly but you can use a pork rolled roast or any type of pork really. You get a great flavour with pork belly though, but make sure you trim off and discard some (but not all) of the fat as it adds to the flavour.
I've also made this using lamb and it turned out great too.

Ingredients
1 kg pork belly (cut into cubes)
3 tablespoons ghee or oil
10 curry leaves
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
2 medium onions finely chopped
4 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 1/2 tspns ginger
3 tablespoons Ceylon curry powder (I use Araliya mild roasted)
1-2 tspns chilli powder
2 tspns salt
1 table spoon vinegar
1 tablespoon tamarind pulp
5 cm cinnamon stick
1 tspn cardamom seeds
1 cup thick coconut cream

Step 1. Fry curry leaves and fenugreek seeds in oil or ghee until they start to brown.
Step 2. Add onion and garlic and fry over a low heat until onions are soft and golden.
Step 3. Add ginger, curry powder, chilli powder, salt, vinegar and pork.
Step 4. Fry on high heat stirring thoroughly until meat is well coated with the spice mix.
Step 5. Add the tamarind pulp cinnamon stick and ground cardamom seeds.
Step 6. Cook on low heat for 1 hour stirring occasionally.
Step 7. Add 1 cup coconut cream and cook for 10 minutes uncovered.

Serve with rice or string hoppers.

image.jpg

Bribie G said:
Wot, never had a Rijstaffel?

I'm a big fan of British Indian Restaurant and Australian Indian Restaurant cooking.

Recipes are very similar - chicken Madras etc - but methods completely different. The Poms base their curry on a sauce of spiced boiled onions that are blended to a "soup" and this is used for a universal base gravy, with other spices and precooked meats depending on the dish, then cooked to thicken. Onions, and masses of them, are at the heart of the cuisine.

Aussie Indian restaurants make their gravies from caramelised onions and tomato puree then various base gravies are "split off" from the main batch by adding the likes of vinegar or ground almonds/cashews or dried coconut milk. At cooking time the gravies and precooked meats are spiced further then thinned out with stock, and other ingredients added such as masses of cream for Butter Chicken, masses of Chilli for Vindaloo etc.

With my own home attempts I really prefer the Aussie version - the Pom varieties are delicious but a bit "samey". The cooking process will be on display at Winkle's case swap, I'm doing lunch and will bring the bases, precooked meat, stocks, my spice "library" etc and assemble / cook batches on the fly as the customers ply me with stupefying liquors. :icon_cheers:
Sounds good,
I am surprised to hear that there is such a difference between pommy and aussie "indian" cooking. pommy immigrants always complain that local indian is "too indian"
many aussie indian restaurants, simply fry off meats then simmer in sauces out of huge cans/cubes
Indian restaurant food here is WA is pretty average, very "samey", there is one great restaurant nearby, thankfully

I make a killer Vindaloo.
When I CBF I'll post the details here.
Goat is the go to meat.

sinkas said:
Sounds good,
I am surprised to hear that there is such a difference between pommy and aussie "indian" cooking. pommy immigrants always complain that local indian is "too indian"
many aussie indian restaurants, simply fry off meats then simmer in sauces out of huge cans/cubes
Indian restaurant food here is WA is pretty average, very "samey", there is one great restaurant nearby, thankfully
There is a good BIR style restaurant on Mindarie marina, it's called Shakira and worth a punt if your in the area. Brew pub next door too.
There is an indian in Clarkson called Masala which is absolute shite. Unless they have changed the chef and all the other staff since I was last there.

Back