Cupboard Clearout - Need Recipe Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerguide

Reaction score
I was looking for some brown sugar for cooking with last night when I discovered in the back of the cupboard a can of Cascade Porter and a can of Light Malt Extract (Coopers I think).
They are still in date, and rather than throw them away I thought I'd whip up a quick recipe in between AG brews.

I currently have around 3.5kgs of Vienna grain left over also and can get my hands on around 300 grams of both dark crystal and chocolate grains (brewcraft brand, which I'm not 100% certain what they are) off my neighbour. Hops wise I have plenty of the following: East Kent Goldings, Green Bullet and Liberty. Yeast I have some Swiss Lager (craftbrewer) and some Windsor (craftbrewer again).

Obviously the Cascade can means I'm aiming for a Porter or Dark Ale/Lager styled result.
I found this recipe on this boards, which I thought I could slightly adapt for my ingredients:
1 Can Coopers Dark Ale;
Safale S-04 Yeast (11g Satchet)
50G Dark Brown Sugar
150G Corn Syrup
500g LDME
500g DDME
Tea Bag Tettnanger Hops
Tea Bag Goldings Hops

But I'm looking for additional suggestions please.. I also found an out of date Stout can, but I'm not sure whether or not to use this, what do you think? It is about 6 months over.

I was looking for some brown sugar for cooking with last night when I discovered in the back of the cupboard a can of Cascade Porter and a can of Light Malt Extract (Coopers I think).
They are still in date, and rather than throw them away I thought I'd whip up a quick recipe in between AG brews.

I currently have around 3.5kgs of Vienna grain left over also and can get my hands on around 300 grams of both dark crystal and chocolate grains (brewcraft brand, which I'm not 100% certain what they are) off my neighbour. Hops wise I have plenty of the following: East Kent Goldings, Green Bullet and Liberty. Yeast I have some Swiss Lager (craftbrewer) and some Windsor (craftbrewer again).

Obviously the Cascade can means I'm aiming for a Porter or Dark Ale/Lager styled result.
I found this recipe on this boards, which I thought I could slightly adapt for my ingredients:
1 Can Coopers Dark Ale;
50G Dark Brown Sugar
150G Corn Syrup
500g LDME
500g DDME
Tea Bag Tettnanger Hops
Tea Bag Goldings Hops

But I'm looking for additional suggestions please.. I also found an out of date Stout can, but I'm not sure whether or not to use this, what do you think? It is about 6 months over.
The dark ale goes well with some choc grain, 1kg malt & goldings. Nice, rich and easy. I'm sure the porter will do okay too.

Otherwise throw them all in together as a 3 can imperial stout? There was a recipe in a Beer & brewer mag a few issues back not far off what you've got in stock. (Just be wary of adding any more hops to 2can stouts...)

1 Can Coopers Dark Ale;
50G Dark Brown Sugar
150G Corn Syrup
500g LDME
500g DDME
Tea Bag Tettnanger Hops
Tea Bag Goldings Hops

HI. it will be fine just throw the yeast away.

Latest posts

Back