Cube swollen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, the important thing really is that it's a possibility that can't be discounted and the risks are too severe to warrant taking the chance.. Better to ditch and be "able" to brew again...

I do agree it's unlikely to be botulism, if anyone has a definitive method to test for either a wild yeast or the other, I'm keen to hear it.

Swollen cubes, ones generating gas, easy for me to get a gauge on that as I have 0 air in my cubes, are tossed down the road...

If you do other, good luck and power to you, you thumb your nose at dangers I do not.

;)

Calls in to question if we should be fermenting anything really. How do we know for sure if the yeast we have pitched has done its job or if it’s in fact botulism?
What about making starters from say the dregs from bottles?

Dangerous hobby this home brewing, perhaps it should be banned.

No chilling should be banned at least with its associated dangers like botulism and exploding cubes.

The OP didn't mention what steps he took when filling the cube, was the wort still very hot, did the cube suck in when the wort cooled, what is the length of time the wort has been in the cube?
If the cube didn't suck in when the vacuum was created by the cooling wort there is most probably a problem with the seal, plastic cubes are permeable, but as has been mentioned on here before some have left wort in a cube for an age, yeast is every where over our clothes, bodies and in the air and if one particular yeast is mainly used by the OP there is a good possibility that it is that strain of yeast which has started the fermentation, I would add the yeast which was going to be added let it ferment out and see what happens, you have nothing to loose and it will not kill you.

... hopefully ... or make you extremely ill ... hopefully ...

Why chance it?

Look, Im certainly not the most paranoid among us but FFS... something has the 'potential' to cause serious negative health effects... and People tell the OP to do this and that and 'see what happens'... FF'sFS... Really?

S.E, I believe your sarcasm font has been disabled, this could potentially explain why you so often are mis understood... perhaps contacting admin to have your sarcasm rigth renewed may help with your ongoing issues.

:blink: :unsure: ;)

wide eyed and legless said:
I've had my mouth around worse things than what is likely to come out of that cube. B)
The finest yeast of all :ph34r:

It's been ditched. It did smell awesome though.

I didn't fancy saving a few $$$ in return for some botulism or whatever nastiness was present.

Cheers
Tom.

Can we change the thread title to "Botulism, the hidden demon"?
I haven't heard if this before but it sounds a bit like celiac. As soon as it becomes public everyone thinks they might have it.
Trying to make sense of the above posts, if normal fermentation occurs and botulism's in there then how would you know? Does the yeast take over and kill it? Because I think that point is pretty important. Anyone who doesn't no-chill is in exactly the same risk category as this swollen cube.
Not disagreeing with the principle though. Swollen cube, sugar time for the zucchinis.

It tastes like....

death.

dead_smiley_sticker-p217560802465223378tdcj_400.jpg

TheWiggman said:
Can we change the thread title to "Botulism, the hidden demon"?
I haven't heard if this before but it sounds a bit like celiac. As soon as it becomes public everyone thinks they might have it.
Trying to make sense of the above posts, if normal fermentation occurs and botulism's in there then how would you know? Does the yeast take over and kill it? Because I think that point is pretty important. Anyone who doesn't no-chill is in exactly the same risk category as this swollen cube.
Not disagreeing with the principle though. Swollen cube, sugar time for the zucchinis.
There will be botulism spores in your wort. Just like a lot of things we eat.
They are not killed by normal boiling.

If they stay dormant they are of no harm. Except to young babies, which is why they should not eat honey.

However, under the right conditions ie warm, no oxygen, about about pH4.5 these spores can give off toxins that will remain in your fermented beer.

If botulism is even a possibility on the OP's cube then this can not be the full story, because these are the conditions in all of our no chill cubes.

My question remains -If this is a real concern (as against a FFS don't drink it coz you will die blanket statement), then what has happened here that is any different to all the other NC brews?

BTW, I don't advocate keeping it either, as it will probably taste like shit.
Actually, I guarentee it won't taste right after reading this thread, even if it is good.

I cubed a batch on Australia Day, it has sat in my garage since.

On Wednesday night last week I put it into my ferment fridge to get it to the right temperature in anticipation of pitching yeast this weekend.

I looked last night and it was swollen to the point of nearly bursting. Opened it up, smelled it, had that co2 bite but otherwise smelled like normal fermenting wort.

I'm almost certainly going to chuck it, but I'm just wondering if, given that it was fine for over 4 months and that this only happened once it went into the ferment fridge what are the chances that the "wild" yeast was actually brewer's yeast that has hung around in the fridge?

Usually what is know as wild yeast, is the predominant yeast which you would generally use. It won't hurt to complete the cycle and see how it turns out.

Yeah I doubt I'll be able to resist giving it a taste once it's done.

Pitch rates probably a fair bit off from optimal...

If the lid was closed - any yeast would produce a 'swollen' container. Seems like the mention of botulism is a bit extreme.
Most home brew requires a outlet of waste gasses from the production of alcohol. Their are a lot better people who know the exact process than me but having a closed vessel that swells is not the end of the world in my humble opinion.

Cheers

Back