Cube Lid Spanner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Borret

Crazy Eye's Brewery
Reaction score
I know you can buy something to do up the lids on the cubes/jerry cans we use for No-chill....

... but after nearly tearing my thunmbnail off the other night when trying to undo one and it suddenly letting go, I decided to make one.
So here's my effort and it works quite nicely.

Brent

spanner.jpg
spanner_lid.jpg
spanner_cube.jpg

So, how much including postage :p

Great idea but I have a quick question.

If the lid gets stuck tight, is perspex going to be strong enough?

Sloth.

Nice. Would be easier to go to any pool shop and buy one for about $5 - wort cubes are the same as the cubes they sell liquid chlorine in.

Nice. Would be easier to go to any pool shop and buy one for about $5 - wort cubes are the same as the cubes they sell liquid chlorine in.

I believe I eluded to that.....

it would also be easier to drop into the bottlo on the way home from work too but who round here does that??!!.... :p

It's all part of the sport to me..

Brent

How did you cut the perspex Brent with a Jig saw?

Pumpy :)

3/8 Drill, holesaw, bandsaw and 12 disk sander (yes I made that myself too..)

I did the prototype with a drill and jigsaw and it works OK too.

Cheers

Brent

How did you cut the perspex Brent with a Jig saw?

3/8 Drill, holesaw, bandsaw and 12 disk sander (yes I made that myself too..)

I did the prototype with a drill and jigsaw and it works OK too.

Cheers

Brent

Looks great Brent I have a bit of ally which I will give a go .

it would also be easier to drop into the bottlo on the way home from work too but who round here does that??!!.... :p

Brent

True! Well done Brent

great job borret , looks the goods how thick is it , did you use perspex or lexan if you used lexan it will be strong enough , cube doesnt need to be done up that tightly

Brent

Oops I missed you 'elusion' (...thats a word, I'm sure! :unsure: ). looks the goods anyway.

great job borret , looks the goods how thick is it , did you use perspex or lexan if you used lexan it will be strong enough , cube doesnt need to be done up that tightly

Isnt lexan a brandname for perspex? or is lexan polycarb?

edit: oh yeah, perspex is a brand name for acrylic or something huh? thats right sorry :p

Is there a tool for the plug that goes in threaded socket on the bottom of the cube or plastic fermenter -- the place where you can put a tap (spigot) or a plug. These have a slot and really want some sort of a tool...

Yes Lexan is a proprietary name for Polycarbonate as is Perspex for acrylic.

As for strength if it too tight... It is 8mm acrylic which is a hell of alot stronger than the 2mm webs it pushes on the lid. What feels 'too tight' by hand is not much when you have a bit more mechanical advantage.

Brent

Is there a tool for the plug that goes in threaded socket on the bottom of the cube or plastic fermenter -- the place where you can put a tap (spigot) or a plug. These have a slot and really want some sort of a tool...

I guess there is, but I just modified a Rotoloc Tool I had laying around and it works fine.

Brent

plug.jpg

I use a 2nd cut metal file which fits the slot almost perfectly.

I like your way of thinking borret. I made one for my fermenter lid. The airlock always bubbles now. I know its not that important, but I still like to see the bubbles. :p

Picture3.jpg

cheers

vl.

<Seth edit>
Oops I missed you 'elusion' (...thats a word, I'm sure! :unsure: ). looks the goods anyway.

</Seth edit>
People, I think you mean "allusion". From the Wikip(a)edia
Allusion
Allusion is a stylistic device or trope, in which one refers covertly or indirectly to an object or circumstance that has occurred or existed in an external context. It is left to the reader or hearer to make the connection (Fowler); an overt allusion is a misnomer for what is simply a reference.

I bellive that Borret used, in this instance, an overt allusion.

BTW, Very handy tool, Borret, and maybe even cheaper than a bought one. What price would U put on handcrafting, anyway?

vlbaby, great tool too. Super-size me! Perhaps a bit of overkill, but prob an essential for you now. It's easy to rely on these little helpers once you form a habit. I can't get by without my refractometer now.

Well done to both of you.

Seth :p

Edited for expansion and deletion of content.

BTW, Very handy tool, Borret, and maybe even cheaper than a bought one. What price would U put on handcrafting, anyway?

Seth :p

Edited for expansion and deletion of content.

Cost of acrylic on the work junk pile- gratis
Cost of tinkering in the shed on a Saturday morning minimal.
Cost of equipment to cut it- hundreds

Playing with your own tool at the end .. Priceless. :lol:

vlbaby, I believe your Swartz is bigger than mine.... :eek:
That's tops

Latest posts

Back