Cube Containers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverside

Reaction score
Hi Guys. Yesterday i scored 8 plastic containers (15 and 20ltrs) Be perfect for cubes. But i have just noticed that a few of them have had some type of oven cleaner in them, is it best to just ditch them or can they be cleaned for use ?

Cheers

Hi Guys. Yesterday i scored 8 plastic containers (15 and 20ltrs) Be perfect for cubes. But i have just noticed that a few of them have had some type of oven cleaner in them, is it best to just ditch them or can they be cleaned for use ?

Cheers

I wouldn't risk it. - Oven cleaners are usually caustic aren't they?

If you're going to give them a go, I'd suggest washing with a strong detergent, soaking with bleach solution, then soak with Napisan or PBW.

If theres no residual smell after that then sanitise and use to see if they are ok.

I get cubes from my local Chinese takeaway that have had either Vinegar or Soy sauce in them.
(The Ones that I tried that had Chilli sauce or Fish sauce still smell after cleaning)

Just my 2c

I've used old detergent cubes for conditioning, not no chilling, and it worked out fine. of course i gave them a thorough clean and a few long soaks to remove any residual fragrance etc.

Depends - do you know exactly what was in them?? If its just a caustic kitchen/oven cleaner.. then its similar to what you would use to clean them out with if they were dirty anyway, and you are probably OK - but if you don't know what was in them.. I wouldn't be too keen myself.

Cheers

Depends if you like the caustic task of oven cleaner

QldKev

well - a hell of a lot of breweries use caustic to clean all their equipment. So its not like caustic itself is a problem. If you had a dirty cube - a damn fine way to clean it out would be to fill it up with a caustic solution and give it a good long soak.

Making sure it is just a caustic cleaner is the thing.

Echoing comments above erring on the side of caution.

Cost of a new cube compared to the time and effort and cost of grains and hops in making an AG batch... I used a dodgy cube recently, and shall never do it again personally. I had to ditch a batch.

2c.

well - a hell of a lot of breweries use caustic to clean all their equipment. So its not like caustic itself is a problem. If you had a dirty cube - a damn fine way to clean it out would be to fill it up with a caustic solution and give it a good long soak.

Hi Thirstboy its says on the label.. contains 30-60% Sodium hydroxide ?

Yeah - the sodium hydroxide isn't an issue... the "what else" is an issue. If its nothing else, then I would have no issue using that cube. If you don't know.. then I wouldn't.

I do not know if it safe to use them or not...

But we are talking about a 10-15 dollar container your could buy and use, with out worry, over and over again yeah?

2c.

Good point. Any doubt in my mind would lead to me ditching it though and I am a tightarse brewer through necessity.

Back