Cub Commercial Keg Dispense Pressure From Kegerator?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamy125

Reaction score
Hi all,

I tried my best to search through all the great info here, but could only find info on home brew or magic box setups in terms of dispense pressure. I also think that you normally run these CUB's at a lot higher dispense pressure than you would some home brew? I guess that is why I'm asking the question :)

I was hoping someone may be able to give me a rough idea of 'ideal' dispense pressure for a commercial CUB (Cascade) keg that I'll be running through a kegerator this weekend.

I realise there are a lot of variables, so I'll try and fill in as many as possible. Kegerator will be set to 2 degrees, and assuming keg may not quite get there - lets say hoping for between 2 and 4 degrees.

Kegerator comes with around 1.5 of 6mm ID beer line. I understand this probably isn't an ideal ID, but unit has flow control taps, so hoping it wont cause too much trouble until I get a chance to swap it out with some 4mm down the track.

Thanks for any information - seems to vary a lot out there in Google land. Suggestions range from 80 to 200 kPa, so you can probably see why I'm after some more accurate info if possible :)

Cheers,

Tom

Hi all,

I tried my best to search through all the great info here, but could only find info on home brew or magic box setups in terms of dispense pressure. I also think that you normally run these CUB's at a lot higher dispense pressure than you would some home brew? I guess that is why I'm asking the question :)

I was hoping someone may be able to give me a rough idea of 'ideal' dispense pressure for a commercial CUB (Cascade) keg that I'll be running through a kegerator this weekend.

I realise there are a lot of variables, so I'll try and fill in as many as possible. Kegerator will be set to 2 degrees, and assuming keg may not quite get there - lets say hoping for between 2 and 4 degrees.

Kegerator comes with around 1.5 of 6mm ID beer line. I understand this probably isn't an ideal ID, but unit has flow control taps, so hoping it wont cause too much trouble until I get a chance to swap it out with some 4mm down the track.

Thanks for any information - seems to vary a lot out there in Google land. Suggestions range from 80 to 200 kPa, so you can probably see why I'm after some more accurate info if possible :)

Cheers,

Tom

The same as you would run you're kegs at home. gas will come into the keg a lot quicker than the beer will come out so the pressure will be the same regardless of the size of the vessel.

It varies in pubs because sometimes they have to push their beer along 20m of beer line, which requires more effort.

Run it at 80-90kpa, and use your flow control to turn it down if needed.

Cheers,

BF

The same as you would run you're kegs at home. gas will come into the keg a lot quicker than the beer will come out so the pressure will be the same regardless of the size of the vessel.

It varies in pubs because sometimes they have to push their beer along 20m of beer line, which requires more effort.

Run it at 80-90kpa, and use your flow control to turn it down if needed.

Cheers,

BF

The other thing is they finish the kegs so much faster, that it doesn't matter so much if they're slowly carbing them up over time.

What matters is how quickly they can fill up the glasses and get to the next punter

The other thing is they finish the kegs so much faster, that it doesn't matter so much if they're slowly carbing them up over time.

Also is why beer gas is a mix of N2 and CO2. - Can run it at the higher pressures without making super fizzy beer.

Thanks for the overwhelming replies guys. They really are appreciated.

:icon_offtopic:

Just over 6yrs to make your first post!

Yep, I really like to read and only ask questions when totally confused or thinking I'm being misguided. That said, I signed up years ago as a uni bum and couldn't afford to get into it properly as I wanted (i.e. keg setup). All that changing now and got my first HB post mix keg kit together and all lined up and ready to kick things off. Just that I have my 30th on this weekend and unfortunately no brew on the go yet, hence CUB dispense question.

What matters is how quickly they can fill up the glasses and get to the next punter

Yea OK, makes sense and thought that may well have been a large factor. So best be careful I don't over carbonate if I'm leaving on for a few days +. I'll start low as suggested and work up from there. Thanks again everyone.

How quick are you planning on drinking the beer? If it's one day the pressure should be set at whatever pours the best for you.

Well, depending on how thirsty the punters are on Saturday night, the two kegs will all be gone by Sunday. But then again I would really like to tap it on Friday to ensure it all pours OK on the new rig before the big night. Slim chance there will still be some left continuing into next week, but really what I was after was an indication on how to 'balance' a commercial keg so to speak.

I was originally thinking about tapping it tonight after picking them up today, but thought better of it and will leave until Friday.

I guess I was after info on how ideally you would dispense these commercial kegs from my rig "if" your were going to be running them over say a week or more. Pouring speed isn't a priority, but rather a good amount of fizz without over carbonating was my focus, and wasn't too sure how to go about it pressure-wise without playing too much of a trial and error game.

Cheers

Just found the below on the keg king site. Sounds about right?

Screen_Shot_2011_11_09_at_9.56.46_PM.png

So going by this, if my keg was at 4 degrees c, I would be looking at 110kPa on the reg to maintain carbonation over an extended period. Think I have this right then - but only one way to find out :)

I used that table when setting up my fridge, I'd say its correct.

when we had one run through a glycol system. we had to have it at about 35 psi

Back