Cub 50l Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sainter1775

Reaction score
Hi all...before it gets said yes i have read the post on cleaning 50L CUB Style kegs.My issue is that my Keg(which was not stolen) has the clip where both ends face the same way...and if i could get the photo of my devil made iphone you could see how the pointed ends of the the clip tapper towards the wall of the spear housing...which i seem to find almost impossible to lever out....thoughts...or should i cut my losses.

I think you need to drill a small hole into the ends of circlip so you can then use something to compress and lift it out.

Don't need to drill. Start tapping it with a hammer and nail and it'll move. Should be able to get it out enough to slip something thin in between the clip and the wall then slowly do the same around.

The pointy ends of the clip will basically touch by the time you get it out.

take it to your local brewery and ask them to wash it for you

I drilled into the clip after many frustrating hours fiddling around with a hammer and numerous sharp objects.
Had it out in seconds.

I drilled into the clip after many frustrating hours fiddling around with a hammer and numerous sharp objects.
Had it out in seconds.

I had to do this also. I think the newer style kegs have a more secure circlip than older ones which could be opened with a screwdriver and hammer

Thanks lads .....I thought as much for the drilling seems the best course of action....now to make the beer to fit in it

laters

So if you are filling the keg again, you need the cir-clip to hold that draft style spear in place ...

Scotty

Why do you need to remove anything at all?

Put a coupler on it - rinse, add detergent, drain, sanitise, purge etc etc through the coupler - then fill it up through the coupler too.

Thats what the people at the brewery who used to own it did.

Why do you need to remove anything at all?

Put a coupler on it - rinse, add detergent, drain, sanitise, purge etc etc through the coupler - then fill it up through the coupler too.

Thats what the people at the brewery who used to own it did.

Yes, but those same people use high temperatures, pressure and aggressive chemicals - something the average HB'er doesn't normally have available.

Well I tired to clean using my coupler it seemed to me to be painful process... Namely which end was gas which was beer line and I seemed use to much gas transferring cleaning agent disloved in water from 20 l kegs to it. If any one Has ideas on cleaning using the coupler I'm all ears?
Thanks

i would flip it upside down if using the coupler and reverse the flow

cleaning water in the beer out line so it then runs out the "gas in" holes in the top of the spear

maybe use compressed air ? (but oils might be an issue ?)

Yes, but those same people use high temperatures, pressure and aggressive chemicals - something the average HB'er doesn't normally have available.

They use hot caustic and steam. No reason at all a homebrewer couldn't use a hot detergent like pbw or percarbonate and sanitiser as a perfectly adequate replacement. A keg line has to be time efficient, a homebrewer doesn't - perhaps slightly lower temps, sanitiser instead of steam (you could use steam anyway with minimal effort and imagination), arguably less effective detergent.... sub in half an hour for cleaning instead of the minutes you need in a commercial setting and you would have a perfectly acceptable result.

Besides - you still need to clean it with or without the spear in.... same chemicals etc either way, just no need to pull the thing to bits first if you do it via a coupler.

Well I tired to clean using my coupler it seemed to me to be painful process... Namely which end was gas which was beer line and I seemed use to much gas transferring cleaning agent disloved in water from 20 l kegs to it. If any one Has ideas on cleaning using the coupler I'm all ears?
Thanks

a funnel

connect your coupler to the keg - shove a funnel into the opening of the liquid side, pour in rinse water or detergent. Turn keg upside down to drain liquid out of gas side.

exactly the same thing you'd be doing with the hole in the top if you took the spear out - the coupler opens up the valves and simply turns them into holes

Tap water temperature, tap water pressure and chemicals anybody can buy off the supermarket shelf are enough to clean a keg.

A regular habit of taking spears out just to clean and fill is something people with gaps in their understanding do.

Back