Crystal Color

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel.lear

Reaction score
Guys, girls and gurus,

My question may sound a little odd but, i wish to use some crystal ( about 200 g ) in my next APA. My dilema is that ( for example ) there are 3 types of Crystal listed on Ross's website, dark, medium and pale. I had planned on ordering the medium crystal and was wondering what impact on color and taste this and the other grains would have.

Planned recipie

Coopers heritage Lager
lager malt extract
Crystal???
30g Amarillo 30 min boil
20g Amarillo 15 min boil
20g Amarillo 5 min boil

Leary

Do you have a beer program?
Promash has a colour patch that changes with what grain you add and in what amount. Not sure about the others...

Crystal malts are a great way to start adding some grain to your brews, Leary. An APA is an excellent choice for using them. Crystal malts are not completely fermentable, meaning they'll leave some sweetness and body which will balance well with the hops. They'll add some colour, but not too much in that sort of quantity. 200g sounds about right, and picking the medium also sounds a fine choice. Different malt companies make crystal malts which add different flavours as well as being lighter or darker in colour. I'm not sure which sort of crystal he's got on the website, but obviously the best way to find out the difference is to try them. :chug:

More info on grains and what to do with them is here.

Thanx for your help guys i'll place an order and give it a go.

Back