Crushing Small Amounts Of Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfinch

Reaction score
Howdy all.
Just about to try a few partials on my long jouney to all grain, and after some tips on crushing small amount of grain without a mill. Already done a search and know about rolling pins,bottles, food processors etc,, but just thought someone might know another way . Only using about a kilo or so.

Thanks in advance Halfinch.....

Sorry Darren should of explained , heard that using processor scratches the plastic bowl bad . Not keen on upsetting swmbo .

Halfinch

Ah yes it does. Also gets flour all over the motor. Go to your local second hand shop or "Vinnies" and get one for yourself.
cheers
Darren

a chinese corona type mill can be found cheap in cooking equipment stores
i think mine was under 20bucks :)

Thanks Tangent and Deadly, live in small town in north west Tassie , no cooking supply shops and nearest brew shop with mill is in Hobart (I think). Long story but have already got bulk bag of ale malt . Willl do some research on cooking supply shops near by though..

Thanks Halfinch.

Welcome to the world of mail order.
Cheaper slow, but express is pretty quick nowdays from my experience with ebay.

i started with an electric coffee grinder after i found out what grain does to a food processor :( It ground up the husks too much tho.

Apart from a morter and pestle and RSI I think a cheap mill is really the best bet.

tangent said:
i started with an electric coffee grinder after i found out what grain does to a food processor :( It ground up the husks too much tho.

Apart from a morter and pestle and RSI I think a cheap mill is really the best bet.
[post="87775"][/post]​
You need to turn the food processor in its side. Allows all the grain to spin and be "smashed" evenly.
Anyhow, Why are crushed husks a problem?

My first few partials were done with a rolling pin and a hessian bag. Dont use plastic bags, as these are a bit too exciting when they burst.

i wasnt getting any kind of filter and just boiling a heap of flourish kinda crap

Never had that problem myself. Did you turn it on its side? Idea is not to turn it to flour but to pulse the malt.

i used the coffee grinder
either got halg flourish and half grain or all too fine
i started with the food processor and saw what it did to the plastic, then put it back and pretended I didn't know anything about it
so i didn't get the chance to try it on it's side :)

TYries a coffe grinder first. Was slow and turned all th egrain to flour. Next I went to a meat grinder from a second-hand shop. Worked really well on crystals but not on plae. Next was the food-processor. Did quite a good job quickly (this when malt was 80c/kg). Ended up scratching the food processor and had to buy a new more expensive model for SHMBO. Used the food processor for about thirty brews (many of which won best of class at state shows and even one at the ANAWBS). By this time I was addicted to brewing (and its fruits)
I then bought a Valleymill. Paid for itself about 4 years ago

tangent said:
i started with the food processor and saw what it did to the plastic, then put it back and pretended I didn't know anything about it

:lol: gold :lol:

Latest posts

Back