Crazy Asian Sugars!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucas

Nanobrewer
Reaction score
I've been meaning to go to the asian supermarket and pick up some sugars from there in the hope they might lead to some interesting flavours and I finally got around to it this evening. I ended up buying one of almost everything they had and I've chucked it all in with a coopers ginger beer kit (which goes well with sugar as it is)

here's a photo:

from top left, going across

brown sugar sticks, yellow rock sugar, rock sugar
palm sugar, more brown sugar sticks under ginger root, red sugar

has anyone ever played around with any of these sugars before or know if they'll offer any other characteristics not found in plain sugar/dextrose?

Just saw the rest of the pics lucas.

It will be interesting to see what the taste is like.

Keep us posted.

cheers
johnno

I've been meaning to go to the asian supermarket and pick up some sugars from there in the hope they might lead to some interesting flavours and I finally got around to it this evening. I ended up buying one of almost everything they had and I've chucked it all in with a coopers ginger beer kit (which goes well with sugar as it is)

here's a photo:

from top left, going across

brown sugar, yellow rock sugar, rock sugar
palm sugar, more brown sugar under ginger root, red sugar

has anyone ever played around with any of these sugars before or know if they'll offer any other characteristics not found in plain sugar/dextrose?

When you do find out, please add what you can to sugars in the wiki. please tell us what they are made from, brown should be cane, Palm from palms of course but what of red and yellow?

will do johnno, from tasting the raw sugars I think the red sugar is probably the going to contribute the most. tasted like brown sugar times 10.

oh yeah, and excuse the dirty dishes in the background in other photos in the gallery :p

I've used brown lump sugar and palm sugar. I didn't really notice anything different about the brown lump sugar but the palm sugar seemed to leave a smooth, creamy texture in the beer. Nothing dramatic, but I'll certainly be using it again.

Yep, I've had a crack at the yellow rock sugar. Used it as a sub for pale/clear candi sugar at 15% in a tripel. Turned out great - 12 months down the track there are all sorts of funky fruit flavours coming out. The beer keeps getting better and better...

The guy and gal in the asian grocery store were totally spun out when I bought three boxes of it. Even more so when I told them it was for making beer.

I used raw azn cane sugar in a dubbel which contributed a flavour pretty similar to how it smelled - raw, cane sugary...

When you do find out, please add what you can to sugars in the wiki. please tell us what they are made from, brown should be cane, Palm from palms of course but what of red and yellow?
on the side of the yellow sugar it says: "Rock sugar (yellow lump) is a famous product of kwang-tung province. it is purely processed from choice sugar cane afier (sic) traditional method, clear and bright, pure and sweet. it is much appreciated by consumers at home and abroad. ingredients: sugar cane, water"

the red is less helpful. on the front it tells us it is red sugar, and how much is in the pack. on the back it just lists the importer. they dont even have a dietary info panel which I'm pretty sure is required to sell food in australia. nfi what's in the red sorry.

I'll have a look for the wiki, but because of how I've put all of the sugars in one batch I dont think i'll be able to contribute any characteristics to a particular sugar. I'll see what sort of stuff is there already :)

I've used brown lump sugar and palm sugar. I didn't really notice anything different about the brown lump sugar but the palm sugar seemed to leave a smooth, creamy texture in the beer. Nothing dramatic, but I'll certainly be using it again.

I'll second the palm sugar comments, I regularly use it in my esb's and pale ales for that extra bit of something instead of a flaked maize addition.

Hi Darryn
I have used the dark palm sugar, it seems to be and leave a little bit of and oily feel in the beer but I think in a Belgian it would be good just not sure off the affect on head retenion?maybe just the high gravity effect.Trial and error.I know one brewery that has used it in the past.The lump sugar (pure sucrose is sweet to use) pun intended, great in any beer to bump the OG and get good attenuation.If you want funky go the dark palm sugar.Drop in a sample and we can test the product.
Neville

Perth

red sugar is possibly from red bean.... makes for tasty sweet delights

I used the stick brown sugar in a belgian dark. Don't have a comparison other sugar belgian dark to provide details of whether it was better or worse but I'm really happy with the beer so that's good enough for me...

I know lots of people have used the yellow rock as a candi sugar alternative. Just saying they have, not wanting to open up the whole invert debate again...

Based on my experiences with palm sugar in cooking I'd see it as not being the best choice for anything other than a ginger beer, or a "thai" beer which I also made once, lemongrass, chilli, coriander, ginger, kaffir lime leaves... Went to heavy on the ginger though so it tasted too much like a slightly spiced ginger beer. Other people loved it, all I could ever taste was not achieving what I wanted... I'd consider it again come summer...

The yellow lump sugar is pretty similar to plain raw sugar. :)

Used it to good effect once in a Trappist. Resultant beer was really good. :beerbang:

Warren -

"Eggs, black rice, red jujube, red sugar, and chicken soup are special foods for women during the first thirty days after delivery." source

So that's handy isn't it?

Looks like red sugar is a kind of palm sugar source

Based on my experiences with palm sugar in cooking I'd see it as not being the best choice for anything other than a ginger beer, or a "thai" beer which I also made once, lemongrass, chilli, coriander, ginger, kaffir lime leaves...

did you put any fish sauce or shrimp paste in that one?

i think thais use galangal rather than ginger most of the time- galangal is a milder flavour.
i like the idea of thai beer. stone made one of their vertical epic beers with kaffir lime leaves, heard it was nice. we've got a kaffir tree here and the rind of the limes is also really good - i'm tempted to use it in a beer sometime.
also i have this silly idea of making a tamarind lambic.

did you put any fish sauce or shrimp paste in that one?

i think thais use galangal rather than ginger most of the time- galangal is a milder flavour.
i like the idea of thai beer. stone made one of their vertical epic beers with kaffir lime leaves, heard it was nice. we've got a kaffir tree here and the rind of the limes is also really good - i'm tempted to use it in a beer sometime.
also i have this silly idea of making a tamarind lambic.

No fish sauce. :) Which, if you'd ever tasted my cooking, is a little surprising. I love the stuff!

I know about galangal, unfortunately it wasn't widely available at the time, but of course even my local fruit and veg place stocks it now...It would have been way better as it wouldn't have dominated.

Kaffir lime is very good in beer. Another US brewery does it in a belgian wit, the name escapes me though. I've also used it to flavour a wheat beer back in the kit days. Lemon, lime and kaffir lime leaves. It was a fantastic summer beer!

Kaffir leaves are an almost permanent addition to my Wit recipes - fantastic stuff. I guess that would make me a "Kaffir Boetie" <_<

Sorry... couldn't resist that one.

As for palm sugar, I have been tempted to use it in various fruit wines, but have yet to do so. When I get around to it I will let you know the results. Never thought of using it in a beer, but judging by some peoples remarks here, I might well consider it.

I have used the dark palm sugar, it seems to be and leave a little bit of and oily feel in the beer but I think in a Belgian it would be good just not sure off the affect on head retenion?maybe just the high gravity effect.Trial and error.I know one brewery that has used it in the past.The lump sugar (pure sucrose is sweet to use) pun intended, great in any beer to bump the OG and get good attenuation.If you want funky go the dark palm sugar.Drop in a sample and we can test the product.

Actually I tried a dark palm sugar once in the 1st batch of cider I ever made, it was VERY strong and had a distinct burnt molassess sort of flavour that took about 6 months to get drinkable!

I mainly use the lighter tan coloured ones since then, they have a lot milder flavour.

I also bought a box of that yellow rock sugar recently to use in a tripel which consensus here appears to be a good move, except I have eaten about half of it already after I taste tested it!!!

Sounds like I need to brew another batch of as Randy Musher calls it JPA (Jaggery PAle Ale)

No fish sauce. :) Which, if you'd ever tasted my cooking, is a little surprising. I love the stuff!

I know about galangal, unfortunately it wasn't widely available at the time, but of course even my local fruit and veg place stocks it now...It would have been way better as it wouldn't have dominated.

Kaffir lime is very good in beer. Another US brewery does it in a belgian wit, the name escapes me though. I've also used it to flavour a wheat beer back in the kit days. Lemon, lime and kaffir lime leaves. It was a fantastic summer beer!

Wow, I really like the sound of that Thai beer. I think that it would be great as a Wit. I had normal lime zest in the last one I made, but I think that the next one will be a Thai Wit. But as you guys said, with galangal instead of ginger.

On the sugars, I just did a small batch of barleywine, I didn't have any crystal malt, so in the search for caramel flavours I raided the kitchen cupboard. All I came up with was golden syrup and Palm Sugar (the tan coloured one in the round block) flipped a coin an dit came up palm sugar. So in went 500g.

I'm encouraged by the "creamy mouthfeel" and maybe by the "oily" comments... but, bconnery, what is it about the flavours that you dont think would go?? Mind you, its too late now, but just so I know for next time.

Guess I'll find out in 8-12 months time anyway.

Thanks for the Thai beer idea.

Thirsty

yellow rock sugar great for BELGIAN ALE .

ITS VERY similar to Belgian candy sugar. So GMK recons

del

Back