Crazy Asian Sugars!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been meaning to go to the asian supermarket and pick up some sugars from there in the hope they might lead to some interesting flavours and I finally got around to it this evening. I ended up buying one of almost everything they had and I've chucked it all in with a coopers ginger beer kit (which goes well with sugar as it is)

here's a photo:

from top left, going across

brown sugar sticks, yellow rock sugar, rock sugar
palm sugar, more brown sugar sticks under ginger root, red sugar

has anyone ever played around with any of these sugars before or know if they'll offer any other characteristics not found in plain sugar/dextrose?

hi,
i also found a sugar called coconut sugar and it is a black sugar in a local asian store.
it could only be used for a dark beer.

cheers. alan

I ended up buying one of almost everything they had and I've chucked it all in with a coopers ginger beer kit (which goes well with sugar as it is)

How come you've chucked it all in one beer? How will you tell which contributed what? Or are you brewing a separate beer with each type to compare them?

I have some of the yellow and white rock sugar at home. Think I might make something Belgian, dark and strong for winter with them.

Wow, I really like the sound of that Thai beer. I think that it would be great as a Wit. I had normal lime zest in the last one I made, but I think that the next one will be a Thai Wit. But as you guys said, with galangal instead of ginger.

I'm encouraged by the "creamy mouthfeel" and maybe by the "oily" comments... but, bconnery, what is it about the flavours that you dont think would go?? Mind you, its too late now, but just so I know for next time.

Guess I'll find out in 8-12 months time anyway.

Thanks for the Thai beer idea.

Thirsty

I'm mainly thinking that with palm sugar it lends a bit of a cloying, or heavy sweetness to me, which works great in conjunction with coconut milk and fish sauce, but not perhaps more on its own? I've never done it though so I could very very easily be wrong!

I'll probably have a stab at the thai beer again some time, with galangal this time. The trick is the chillies too, it's hard to get the balance right. They wouldn't be essential though. Pm me a reminder if you want to know how much of stuff I put in, I don't think I have it here...

Cheers

Ben

I'm mainly thinking that with palm sugar it lends a bit of a cloying, or heavy sweetness to me, which works great in conjunction with coconut milk and fish sauce, but not perhaps more on its own? I've never done it though so I could very very easily be wrong!

I'll probably have a stab at the thai beer again some time, with galangal this time. The trick is the chillies too, it's hard to get the balance right. They wouldn't be essential though. Pm me a reminder if you want to know how much of stuff I put in, I don't think I have it here...

Cheers

Ben

Cheers Ben,

I was talking to the wife, and she made a really useful suggestion. She says, and I quote "well, just make a vegie stir fry. When the balance of flavours is right, then use the same proportions of ingredients in your beer" I think she's right. Just that you have to take into account the bitterness of hops. So I think that hops and chilli are probably competing on bitterness and you'd back down the proportion of chilli to compensate.

Its a really elegant idea anyway.

I will send that PM though. Thanks

Thirsty

How come you've chucked it all in one beer? How will you tell which contributed what? Or are you brewing a separate beer with each type to compare them?
Well I'd originally planned to do just one type of sugar but when I got there I couldnt make up my mind so I got the whole assortment. They all went in the one beer because... well I needed sugar for the ginger beer. I dont typically brew using sugar so to do individual brews with each would have taken months. I figured that doing it this way I'd find either one of two things. a: some of the sugars contributed some different qualities compared to regular sugar, further investigation required. or b: no discernible difference using these sugars compared to normal ones. by the sounds of peoples responses it might turn out to be the first one.

Ive got a round of the palm sugar and Im going to use it in the BBD belgian recipe....might see if I can find the red rice for the other sugar addition

Yeah,
I'm not sure about the other varieties, but I'm pretty sure palm sugar conatins a certain amount of fat and this could affect your head retention. I guess if your making a traditional style ale this really wouldn't matter too much though. If it works use it if not get a Thai cookbook and use it up in curries and grilled meat dishes.

Prost!!!!!!!!!!!

I've used the Thai palm sugar (light coloured disc) in a summer ale, the Chinese lump sugar in a bitter, and dark Indonesian palm sugar (Gula Aren) in a Belgian single/pale ale. There didn't appear to be an issues with head retention with any of those beers.

Latest posts

Back