Crankandstein Hopper And Base Help.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3GumsBrewing

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a crankandstein 2S mill on the way from the USA, it was way to expensive to ship the base and hopper set as well, so I am after some help!

I nether have the knowhow or the tools to create a hopper or base myself so would there be anyone in Sydney that can build one for me, I will pay for the materials and your for your time in cash or beer!

Cheers
DK

Hi all,

I have a crankandstein 2S mill on the way from the USA, it was way to expensive to ship the base and hopper set as well, so I am after some help!

I nether have the knowhow or the tools to create a hopper or base myself so would there be anyone in Sydney that can build one for me, I will pay for the materials and your for your time in cash or beer!

Cheers
DK

Not in sydney but you can halve your problem by getting a hopper like this. Holds a little under 7Kg.

TP

Crankenstein_3_Roller.JPG

That looks easy enough, wooden base, what is the mill housing? Is that a water bottle? (The pic is tiny on my phone!)

cheers
DK

There are a few guys using the water bottles. I built a simple design in wood as here, works a treat

QldKev

Here is the hopper I originally bought from Crankandstein years ago, might give you some ideas....you can see that I also use the old large plastic water bottle to allow me to have 10+kg of malt in the hopper.

That looks easy enough, wooden base, what is the mill housing? Is that a water bottle? (The pic is tiny on my phone!)

cheers
DK

Mill housing is made from waterproof ply & the hopper is just an interchangeable spring water bottle you can get from service stations, etc for around 11 or 12 bucks.

TP

i use a plastic bin from bunnings ,drill 4 holes and bolt it on....

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a water bottle mounted on a piece of ply.

The mount I just got two off cuts of wood about 2" thick.

Using hole saws I cut the first hole so that the mouth of the bottle could fit inside, the second hole is small enough so the bottle can't fit inside.

Using a jigsaw I cut an opening in the ply about 2cm shorter than the length of the rollers.

Then mount the holed pieces, smaller hole on the bottom about the opening.

Drill holes in the ply corresponding to the mount holes in the mill.

Then attach it and crack away.

Got my mill, hopper and base all set up today, what a great piece of kit!

I used just a plastic bin for the hopper and a plastic bucket for the base/catcher (all from bunnings)
Managed to put 5kg through in around 10 min after a bit of stuffing around.

Thanks for all the ideas guys.

DK

:D

This is mine, craftwood mount and waterbottle hopper.

Look familiar, saw Tidal Pete's and thought it was great design so made mine along the same lines.

Crank01__Small_.JPG

Back