Craftbrewer Fwk Aging Recommendations.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aus_Rider_22

Reaction score
Hi guys. I am in the process of trying a few of the different FWK's from
Ross and the guys at CBer. I recall Ross himself saying in a recent thread that the Golden Ale recipe is meant to be drunk asap. Aka ferment, cold condition or a week then drink.

Could Ross or someone put up there recommedations for aging the other beers in the range? Eg the swarzbier, Irish red or Obama ipa. Just like a sort of a reference for each recipe and style. Cheers!

Haha I'm glad I saw this thread, I just ordered a Golden Ale FWK this morning.

Those hop flavours and aromas you get from the big late/dry hopping are going to dissipate pretty quickly, so you want to consume them when they're very fresh.

Those hop flavours and aromas you get from the big late/dry hopping are going to dissipate pretty quickly, so you want to consume them when they're very fresh.

I bottled a K&K version of DrSmurto's Golden Ale (that had been resting in a primary for a week) last Sunday, would be just like the Golden Ale FWK; ready to drink now? Or does K&K still benefit from 1 month+ maturing?

Bottles do seem to need longer than kegs for the beer to come on song and clear etc. I tend to bottle at least one in PET to determine when they are carbed. (Up here usually carbed up fully in 5 days). I then sample a bottle each week until I consider it ready to go. Usually if you crack a bottle too early I find the head dies really quickly and the CO2 comes out of solution fast so the beer goes flat in the glass.

As a rough and ready guide try one at 2 weeks or if you can hold out 4 weeks and go from there. Mine never lasts long enough to lose the hop aroma. Keep meaning to keep a bottle for a few months but never made it yet.

I would say it's ready to drink when it's finished carbonating. But you can lay some down and compare your results, see how it turns out overtime.

Back