Cracking A Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally built up enough kegs to spare some for lagering. In February I brewed a couple of lagers to enter in this year's competition "circuit" of club, State and hopefully Nationals. The idea was to lager them till April in the kegs, take samples to see if any adjustments were required, put back into lagering fridge etc. The procedure is to transfer the kegs to the kegerator and let them sit for three or four days to completely settle down again. Try a couple of small samples, then fill competition entries at high pressure using Counter Pressure bottle filler. Then return kegs to lagering fridge to sit until the next comp.

For some reason the "small sample" sessions have turned out as "hey Dave you've gotta try a pint of this ..." :ph34r:

I now have a third of a keg each left, with the State coming up in a few weeks. Somebody please show me how to sit on my hands <_<

The sooner you get away on holidays the better Bribie, at least your kegs will get a spell! :icon_cheers:

I have 3 fermenters running that the beer lives in for 3 to 4 weeks so they have plenty of time to ferment and then clear. I start/finish all the fermenters at the same time and get 2 to 3L dregs per fermenter, that's 6 to 9L into the dreg keg. I just chuck it in the fridge / on gas with the rest of them, I ensure it has been drunk prior to the next set of fermenters being ready. I don't think there would be any issue if I had not drunk it prior to the next batch and dumping it on top.

I personally would not leave it outside of the fridge, or not on gas for the risk of losing it. It you wanted to you could leave it out of the fridge and wack in some sugar to allow it to carb up.
i do the same thing (3 fermenters into 4 kegs .. with the last being the dregs of all 3)...
I asked a while ago about blending beers ... and the silence was deafening .. i assumed that no one else did it.

I usually do a dark .. and a red ... or maybe two of one .. .. the blended keg is often my favourite.

cracking a new keg is always fun... but finishing a really good one is very sad.

Back