Cpa No More At New Sydney Hotel (hobart)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrie0069

Reaction score
I walked into the New Sydney Hotel last night for what is likely to be the last CPA from tap they serve there. Apparently they have had problems with the way it pours (half head) over the last month or 2. They have tried different lines, taps, etc, but have been told the problem lies with them by Cooper's reps, so they are now going to use the tap for something else in the future. I was a bit disappointed to find this out, but that soon changed when they said they had spoken to Little Creatures to organise some LCPA. Unfortunately they don't deliver to Tassie in kegs, so the pub would have to pay for freight down to Tassie, which would jack the price of a pint up around the $10 mark! Of course this isn't viable, so they are trying to source a suitable pale ale to put on that is available by keg to Tassie. They have looked at other local options as well, but quality control has been a bit of an issue in the past with the smaller breweries, so they are a bit hesitant to try them again.

I guess I have a few questions from this.

1. Is this where breweries should be looking at the use of the 1 way keg, where the logistics of keg delivery/recovery outweighs the cost of this type of keg?
2. Which beer do you think should be placed on tap as the replacement? Bearing in mind they do have quite a few beers on tap, including Moo Brew - it is nice to have another quality option though! :)
3. Should Coopers have tried a bit harder to keep this on at this pub? I realise they have a decent market share out there, but this pub has been a big supporter down here for them in the last few years.

Cheers,

Morrie

Thats a shame, though i never really drank much cpa @ the new sydney as there were always so many other nice beers on tap :p moo brew pale ale? <3

Should get stuck into willie simpson @ 7 sheds, get him to put some kentish pale ale into a keg for them. I asked him about the possibility, but the main reason it sounded was the same basic reason as LC, transporting the kegs, and getting the empty ones back.

Rebel! Start a micro and make your own! B)

There are quite a few Tassie microbreweries now.

Two Metre Tall makes some nice beers and Dark Isle Brewery sounds like it has an interested range.

You could always lobby for the Moo Brew Imperial Stout too!!

The coopers guys are probably right and the pub probably is getting its dispense all wrong (temp, pressure, gas mix, yada yada), but jeez, you work so hard for a tap, why not spring for a bit of dispense kit that'll ensure your beer pours well?

One-way kegs at this stage are not viable domestically because they're too small (less that 48 litres = higher rate of excise), they're too expensive and they're poorly made and unreliable.

There are quite a few Tassie microbreweries now.

Two Metre Tall makes some nice beers

The range I have tasted are infected and nasty, certinly not a good intro to micro.

The range I have tasted are infected and nasty, certinly not a good intro to micro.

Interesting. I tried a couple of their brews at the Bitter & Twisted festival (http://www.bitterandtwisted.com.au) last year and found them quite interesting and palletable.

Thats a real shame, Coopers on draught is one of the best big brewery commercial beers in Australia IMHO. We got o Robe, SA each year for the Australia Day weekend and the best part of it is the night we eat out at the pub :) CPA and CSA on tap.......sometimes even the stout and dark ale!

One-way kegs at this stage are not viable domestically because they're too small (less that 48 litres = higher rate of excise), they're too expensive and they're poorly made and unreliable.

Next week I was going to start doing some research into using these so called one way kegs. Thanks Dean for your comments.
Cheers
Gerard

Ah the New Sydney Hotel, that brings back some fond memories, the first pub I ever had a beer in (only slightly underage)

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that finds Two Meter Tall's beers off. To me they taste winey, but not in a good way. I know Ashley is a winemaker, but really, beer is beer... learn to use some hops and cut off using apple juice in your brews please.

MFS.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that finds Two Meter Tall's beers off. To me they taste winey, but not in a good way. I know Ashley is a winemaker, but really, beer is beer... learn to use some hops and cut off using apple juice in your brews please.

MFS.

glad to hear also, i find most of the 2MeterTall brews quite a struggle to finish..... i remember the cleansing ale was ok...
i also found that with the Iron House Porter from the stubbie... very off...
stops me trying their Pale, Wheat etc... and wouldnt recommend them to anyone....
sticking to cascade stout... cant go past that.

As for the New Sydney... cant think of much on tap their thats worth going for...
funerals have a better atmosphere... the Republic have a better selection on tap and bottle
Cheers,
S..

Latest posts

Back