Cpa Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eyelusion

Reaction score
OK I have a few things left here for a brew and wanted some suggestions:

Coopers Pale Ale can 1.7kg
Morgans Extra Pale Liquid Malt Extract 1.5 kg
Pride of ringwood pellets (thinking 24g in a stocking standard method) ( I have 50g left here if needed)
Now I'm not sure here what yeast to use I have Safale S-04 or Safale US-05

Well what do you think?

Thx all :)

Given the choice I'd go the S-04, but I would recommend you culture some yeast from a few CPA stubbies into a 1L starter, it produces a nice dry finish and right amount of fruitiness. The US-05 might be a little too neutral, will highlight the isohops and PoR... which if your thing then go for it.

Perhaps even a little dextrose?

If you were to add dextrose to it how much? Should I put all the 1.5kg of malt in as well?

The US-05 might be a little too neutral, will highlight the isohops and PoR... which if your thing then go for it.

I'm going to agree with this. I'm far from being a yeast expert but I recently put down a CPA tin with Amarillo (25gm-ish @15 min) and while the aroma was pleasing there was an entirely different flavour dominating and it was pretty harsh in comparison. I've been wondering what the culprit might be and the above sounds pretty reasonable to me.

I've actually used PoR as flavour hops before, and before I get blasted out of the water, I know its not the prime territory for PoR, but worth a go if that's all you've got. And if its a disposal brew, you haven't really got much to lose when your choices are quite limited, like in this situation. The APA tin is OK for bittering (~25IBU in 23L), could be increased a shade by boiling some extra PoR if you wanted, particularly if you wanted to add the whole tin of pale ME.

If you want to be slightly adventurous while also getting rid of all of the hops, then get really familiar with PoR and split it all up evenly into bittering, flavour and aroma additions. So boil up say 500g of the unhopped malt in 5 litres of water, boil 1/3 of the hops for 60 minutes, the next 1/3 for 20 and the rest at 5, at 0 minutes just add the remaining unhopped malt and the APA can and then dilute all that into the fermenter with cold water. You could bias the hop balance to the bittering end as well, you'd get more bang for the buck and it'd be a more traditional use of that vartiety. Even ditch the 5 minute addition.

If you want to just use some of your PoR, I'd just put 15 - 20g in for 20 minutes as above for flavour.

S-04 would probably be ok to use, but I'm not all that familiar with US-05 and others may recommend it ahead of S-04.

The Coopers Aust Pale Ale can is a shade perfume-ish IMO, but that hasn't stopped me from brewing quite a few of them as kit & bits and its not the world's worst tin, not by a long shot. As for the dextrose, in a 23 litre brew the 1.5kg of ME, the APA tin plus 0.5 kg dex is fairly unexciting as is- I've done something very similar and was underwhelmed, so I black & tanned most of it. Needs ramping up really, hence my suggestions above, some more hops to balance the extra malt. Its worked for me in the past with hops such as Saphire and Northern Brewer.

Eyelusion, are you giving away the brewing game? Or just using up your stock before a new order of goodies arrives in the post/ by courier? Sincerely hope its the latter!

I'm going to agree with this. I'm far from being a yeast expert but I recently put down a CPA tin with Amarillo (25gm-ish @15 min) and while the aroma was pleasing there was an entirely different flavour dominating and it was pretty harsh in comparison. I've been wondering what the culprit might be and the above sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Forgot to mention I was using US-05 (i.e. basically the whole point of my post).

My edit button has done a runner.

As for the dextrose, in a 23 litre brew the 1.5kg of ME, the APA tin plus 0.5 kg dex is fairly unexciting as is- I've done something very similar and was underwhelmed,

For this reason I would go for the S-04 as it will favor the malt a little. The US-05 will make it a little bland. Have never used POR but if adding the extra 1.5 kg tin of malt you will need the extra hops.

Cheers
Gavo.

Eyelusion, are you giving away the brewing game? Or just using up your stock before a new order of goodies arrives in the post/ by courier? Sincerely hope its the latter!

Nah not giving up the brewing at all
Just the latter. Using up some of the stock I have. Thought of venturing a little further......

Also have a can of Coopers draught here. Two can???

This forum has been so useful for me, have learnt a bunch.
I love beer and have a great appreciation for flavour.
So I'm keen to try/experiment/learn and also make mistakes.
I just love creating beer. :) and drinking it :)

Nah not giving up the brewing at all
Just the latter. Using up some of the stock I have. Thought of venturing a little further......

Also have a can of Coopers draught here. Two can???

This forum has been so useful for me, have learnt a bunch.
I love beer and have a great appreciation for flavour.
So I'm keen to try/experiment/learn and also make mistakes.
I just love creating beer. :) and drinking it :)
Oh good, that's terrific news!

Now, I wouldn't put the draught can with the APA as a toucan and don't make it standard either, both would be atrocious. But the draught can actually goes well in a toucan stout with some steeped roasted barley, traditional flavour/ aroma hops (Fuggles, EKG etc.) and S-04. If you can get your hands on a can of the stout as well, then I'd be sitting on it until then. And don't worry about the shelf life of the draught if you don't get around to it, I used one a few months ago that was BBE some time in 2006 and its still a very good 'disposal stout'. So much so, that I used about a third of it in the aforementioned black & tan and most of the remainder has already been keeping winter chills at bay.

Ditto WRT these forums, they're a fantastic resource and once you get your head around the basics there's an enormous spectrum of methods, ideas, ingredients and recipes to pursue at your own leisure. Sounds like you're well on your way, don't be afraid of being bold though, even with some atrocious mistakes most home brews are streets ahead of much of the stuff bought in the local bottleo, and far cheaper too...

Recommend getting your hands on some specialty grains for steeping, different hops and yeast from site sponsors or similar firms. Adds an amazing array of flavours and aromas to kit & bits and extract brews, and when you're ready (you'll know when), then hit up the partial mashes and AGs, for which you'll have many of the necessary methods and techniques well under control. You'll make a few mistakes along the way, everyone does, but experience is a fantastic tutor.

Recommend getting your hands on some specialty grains for steeping, different hops and yeast from site sponsors or similar firms. Adds an amazing array of flavours and aromas to kit & bits and extract brews, and when you're ready (you'll know when), then hit up the partial mashes and AGs, for which you'll have many of the necessary methods and techniques well under control. You'll make a few mistakes along the way, everyone does, but experience is a fantastic tutor.

So you have a 'control' element (a can of stuff)... and an opportunity to fiddle!

Buy yourself four demijohns and make four brews with the one kit - One demijohn could remain unadulterated, one might have steeped Chocolate grains or other grains in it, one might have an array of hops, another might have a combination of grain and hop, and the other could contain extra malt, extra grains (smoked?), orange peel, honey, coriander, cinnamon bark, soot, wasps, whatever...

Enjoy yersel...

Oh good, that's terrific news!

Now, I wouldn't put the draught can with the APA as a toucan and don't make it standard either, both would be atrocious. But the draught can actually goes well in a toucan stout with some steeped roasted barley, traditional flavour/ aroma hops (Fuggles, EKG etc.) and S-04. If you can get your hands on a can of the stout as well, then I'd be sitting on it until then. And don't worry about the shelf life of the draught if you don't get around to it, I used one a few months ago that was BBE some time in 2006 and its still a very good 'disposal stout'. So much so, that I used about a third of it in the aforementioned black & tan and most of the remainder has already been keeping winter chills at bay.

RdeVjun, that stout sounds like a grand idea. Might add one to the order. thx

Also I do have a little cascade hop pellets left over here as well. Do you think cascade hops and POR would go together with the CPA???

So you have a 'control' element (a can of stuff)... and an opportunity to fiddle!

Buy yourself four demijohns and make four brews with the one kit - One demijohn could remain unadulterated, one might have steeped Chocolate grains or other grains in it, one might have an array of hops, another might have a combination of grain and hop, and the other could contain extra malt, extra grains (smoked?), orange peel, honey, coriander, cinnamon bark, soot, wasps, whatever...

Enjoy yersel...

Well Scruffy I do enjoy a fiddle...
The demijohns actually sounds like a fun idea.

The soot and wasps sound great too :)

Cheers for all the replies guys

Also I do have a little cascade hop pellets left over here as well. Do you think cascade hops and POR would go together with the CPA???
You could do much worse than that, those'll probably both be fine in the CPA if you add some PoR at 60 and 20 and the Cascade at 5 minutes or later, even dry hop it if that takes your fancy. The actual quantities could be a bit rough and ready to start with, but you'll get the idea of what they're about.
Oh, if I were you, I'd leave the experiments there for now, and restock with the fresh goodies before you go nuts with splitting cans into demijohns etc. Maybe leave it for a rainy day, eh? ;)

Latest posts

Back