COUNTERFEIT SSR WARNING - CHECK YOUR GEAR!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NealK

Reaction score
I opened my control box (Mathos controller) this weekend and found that my SSR has melted!
ssr2.jpgssr1.jpg

I posted this in the mathos controller thread and Zwitter (genius!) sent a link that showed me that my SSR is actually a counterfeit.

https://ul.com/newsroom/publicnotices/ul-warns-of-solid-state-relay-with-counterfeit-ul-recognition-mark-release-13pn-52/

This could have been a massive issue if I had not checked this when I did. Any of you guys using FOTEK SSR's I would advise you to check if they are genuine. Mine was a fake and was obviously not rated to what it should be.

Cheers
Neal

I am, and I have had one that melted in similar but not-so-drastic fashion as the above. In fact here's a pic the control box from my gallery -

gallery_31264_1089_4489106.jpg

What do you know? Looks exactly the same as the counterfeit product in the link. Considering the price I paid ($3.21 shipped) I suppose that makes sense. I've since upgraded to 40A and improved the heatsink as I thought that was the issue, but I'll double check tonight to be sure.

NealK said:
I opened my control box (Mathos controller) this weekend and found that my SSR has melted!
attachicon.gif
ssr2.jpg
attachicon.gif
ssr1.jpg

I posted this in the mathos controller thread and Zwitter (genius!) sent a link that showed me that my SSR is actually a counterfeit.

https://ul.com/newsroom/publicnotices/ul-warns-of-solid-state-relay-with-counterfeit-ul-recognition-mark-release-13pn-52/

This could have been a massive issue if I had not checked this when I did. Any of you guys using FOTEK SSR's I would advise you to check if they are genuine. Mine was a fake and was obviously not rated to what it should be.

Cheers
Neal
Your melted one actually looks more like the genuine SSR than the counterfeit one

I think I will avoid the FOTEK brand in future just to be sure.

Should chuck the retailer and I link in the retailer warnings thread in the bulk buy section too to cover bases

NealK said:
I think I will avoid the FOTEK brand in future just to be sure.
That's exactly what I did when building my brewpi a few years back. Interesting to see this is still an issue.

Crowmanz is right, looks like you have the genuine article. I'd have a solid look at your cooling as SSRs can generate a lot of heat especially if you are pushing them to design limit.

I got a fake one it died in about 15 mins of use have 2x 40a ones that have been in my system running 3.6kw each for 2 years no issues

Jaycar sell them bout $45 bucks a pop but like most jaycar gear is good quality I reckon these would be too

It was working fine last time I used it, but I didn't want to risk damaging any other components by starting it up after discovering that it was fried.

I think you have a very good one. Obviously it has become so hot it melted the housing, but continued to work. Can only think that the heat sink did not provide adequate cooling.

If it didn't snap (a flash of light), crackle (electrical sparking noise) and pop (a puff of smoke) then it almost overheated.

image.jpeg

Looks like the one I ordered is a fake too, no "made in Taiwan" and no bevelled edges either.
Mofo's!!

I checked my 40A units and they're basically identical to the linked genuine article. They're DC switched though, but I'd still bet yours is counterfeit.
Can't believe there're counterfeits out there of Taiwanese products. Where the bloody hell would they be made?

Just bought one the other day, fake by the looks of it, sent them an email asking for a refund, we'll see how I go with that!

If you,ve still got the 40a SSR I'll take it off your hands John.

Im looking in to order a SSR real soon along with a PID. Im wondering what are the signs of a fake SSR, or where do i go to find out. On Foteks website their SSR pics dont have made in Taiwan written on them. Are they a Hong Kong company with the .hk?
http://www.fotek.com.hk/page1e.htm

What are the signs its a fake and what are signs its the real SSR?

Cheers

Latest posts

Back