Cost Of A Pint In The Uk

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I have been concentrating in sampling the Cask ales mainly, its not warm but its not cold either , It has a nice head on it ,but its not very carbonated either .

Oh well I seem to be adjusting to it quite nicely . ;)

How much !!! about six bucks a pint ! in a pub and you have to risk hitting your head on those low beams in the pubs which all seen full of Nooks and Crannies ( no not Crooks & Grannies )

Think thats what they were charging in Sydney for the Braidwood cask ale at the Riverwood hotel in Balmain .

Pumpy

Pumpy - if you are still in England, get yourself to this in Cambridge:

ORGANISERS of this year's Cambridge Beer Festival have ordered 68,000 pints of cask ale to ensure the event won't be drunk dry.

The nation's oldest beer festival is now in its 33rd year and 130 breweries will be represented at the event on Jesus Green from Monday, May 22.

Last year's festival attracted 28,183 customers who drank a staggering 64,000 pints of beer on top of a record amount of traditional cider and foreign beers.

This year's cask ale order is up by 4,000 pints, the cider order has been doubled to 5,500 pints and organisers have arranged for extra supplies at short notice, if thirsty drinkers need more.

Steve Jackson, festival publicity officer, said: "We have five bars this year with a few surprises and believe we can cater for the vast majority of our customers' tastes.

"We have some 130 brewers represented at the festival. There are now more than 500 breweries in this country, most of which are microbreweries producing around 10 barrels per week. We have one launching itself at the festival."

Names to tantalise the taste buds include Black Hole Stout, Puck's Folly, Oscar Wilde Mild, Village Bike, Summersault and Pressed Rat & Warthog.

Eight Cambridgeshire breweries will have 30 beers on sale at a special bar to highlight the county's prowess at the six-day event organised by the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA).

Shaun Marsh, festival organiser, said: "Within the 30 beers will be a wide range of styles from mild to bitter, stouts, porters, wheat beer and strong beer, and for the first time a cask conditioned lager-style beer - something for most people's tastes."

He said this showed the commitment of the Cambridge branch of CAMRA to local breweries.

Along with more than 170 real ales, there will be the popular foreign beer selection, cider, perry, mead and English wine.

Mr Marsh said: "Just in case we get a bit short, we also have an established system to get extra beers on site. Over the last couple of years those who attend try to drink us dry - but are well behaved and sensible in doing so."

The festival opens on Monday, May 22, from 5pm to 10.30pm. It runs from 11am to 3pm and from 5pm to 10.30pm Tuesday to Friday and is open all day from 11am to 10.30pm on Saturday, May 27.

Admission is 2.50 after 5pm but free to card-carrying CAMRA members.

If you get there Pumpy, send us some digi pics. My sister in law and fiance are going - lucky bastards.
Cheers
Steve

If you think that is bad (six pounds a pint) don't have a black coffee in Italy, you will probably go bankrupt.
I remember when I was an apprentice it cost me half a weeks pay for an espresso, I thought I was being charged for the whole cafe.

Ealing beer festival is on this weekend too. Starts on thursday. Easy to get to by tube (5 min walk from Ealing Broadway).

I'll be there along with a bunch of other ratebeer regulars, including one visiting from Perth!

You'll find the pints a bit cheaper there too!

Look for a guy wearing a james squire shirt on Saturday. I'll be there noon till about 4pm. I might be there on Thursday evening too.

Drop me a PM if you want my mobile number :)

Piste said:
If you think that is bad (six pounds a pint) don't have a black coffee in Italy, you will probably go bankrupt.
I remember when I was an apprentice it cost me half a weeks pay for an espresso, I thought I was being charged for the whole cafe.
[post="125278"][/post]​

I think he meant $6 a pint, not pounds.

6 will get you 3 pints at most festivals and pubs.

Steve said:
Pumpy - if you are still in England, get yourself to this in Cambridge:

ORGANISERS of this year's Cambridge Beer Festival have ordered 68,000 pints of cask ale to ensure the event won't be drunk dry.

The nation's oldest beer festival is now in its 33rd year and 130 breweries will be represented at the event on Jesus Green from Monday, May 22.

If you get there Pumpy, send us some digi pics. My sister in law and fiance are going - lucky bastards.
Cheers
Steve
[post="125275"][/post]​

Thanks for that Steve I will definately make that one it is now on my calender .
Not too far away from me

Will let you know how I go

Pumpy

Kook Thanks for that However ,I will be a a reunion on the Friday and Saturday , I can t fit that one in thanks for the offer .

Pumpy

hey pumpy.

come to tamworth and i will only charge ya $5 AUS for warm flat beer :)

thats cheap

i will even throw in some yeast floaties at no extra cost.

cheers

kook said:
Piste said:
[post="125278"][/post]​

[post="125314"][/post]​

I agree. I have never paid 6 for a Pint in the UK.

Norway remains the most expensive Pints Ive ever had. I was there about 1996 and Pints were around 5 each (AUD$15 at the time). I reckon they would be up around the 6 to 8 mark these days. :(

Has anyone been to Norway recently?

Pumpy said:
How much !!! about six bucks a pint ! Pumpy
[post="125009"][/post]​

That is about 2..50 or two and a half quid

Pumpy

I was in Sweeden in 1999 for Midsummers Eve and we were paying about $10 a beer. Still had a great time though. Blew some serious money.

Last year at a mates buck's party a mate got me a beer at a strip club. I was pretty gone, but I think he said it was $15 a beer! (Crownies too!!!)

Pumpy said:
Pumpy said:
How much !!! about six bucks a pint ! Pumpy
[post="125009"][/post]​

That is about 2..50 or two and a half quid

Pumpy
[post="125378"][/post]​

2'n'a'arf squid.. aawwight geez

When I left England I was quibbling about paying just over a quid! Glad I left! :D

Tried a few pubs near Warwick castle ,CAMRA appear to have a promotion on called 'Mild in May' and many of the pubs are selling 'mild beer 'which I cannot remember ever drinking ,the price was 1.75 I am looking forward to trying some more on my travels .

I had 'Banks Chocolate mild' 4.2% says the hops used Fuggles and Goldings nice .

They are all cask ales and the next I tried not a mild 'Green King Triumph Ale' 4.3% Golden hoppy fruity used Fuggles Styriian Goldings ,Target & Bramling cross hops

Then I found one for 1.59 'Titanic Lighboat 'Fruity and malty made uing Maris Otter malt pale malt crystal and chocolate malt .
Used 'American Yakima Galena' , & 'English Goldings 'Hops .
It has a very distinctive bitter sweet flavour which I was not sure if I could drink it but grew on me .

They even had Leffe Blond on tap !!!

There is no doubt if you like English cask ales the range available is amazing since I really lived here many years ago .

Pumpy

AngelTearsOnMyTongue said:
kook said:
Piste said:
[post="125278"][/post]​

[post="125314"][/post]​

I agree. I have never paid 6 for a Pint in the UK.

Norway remains the most expensive Pints Ive ever had. I was there about 1996 and Pints were around 5 each (AUD$15 at the time). I reckon they would be up around the 6 to 8 mark these days. :(

Has anyone been to Norway recently?
[post="125376"][/post]​
One of the directors at work went to Norway last September and paid "about $15 a pint and they are only 500ml"

Back