Cornsyrup V Sg Readings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flummoxed

Reaction score
Howdy,
I'm a kit brewer; yes, one of those!

I'm wondering whether anyone knows of a 'table' that will guide me in knowing what affect the non-fermenting corn syrup powder has on final SG readings?

I add corn syrup powder to all my kit brews (should I?) and i therefore never achieve the 'low' level of final SG readings all my book recipes cite.
But I'm not sure what sort of reading I should be aiming/hoping for once I've added the CSP.
Problem is, I'm beginning to wonder if the hydrometer really is the 'brewers best friend', as the books like to say;
I have a new one so i imagine it works correctly.

I have made an identical brew twice now, and twice the SG has 'refused' to dip below 1024;
The starting SG both times has been 1052; Which calculates out to about 4.15% alcohol AFTER the bottling sugar.
Which seems way too low for the ingredients, suggesting my brew is not femrenting out. (yes, i've kept constant tempt in low 20s)

The recipe i have used is:

1.7 kg can Bishops English bitter
1.5 kg can Morgan amber malt
50 g crystal malt
325 g corn syrup powder
15 g saaz
15 g english ale yeast that came with Bishops....('Brew Cellar' brand I think)

(feel free to critique the recipe)

filled fermenter to 21 litres. my understand ing is that such a brew should produce a higher alcohol calculation ? If so, for some reason it's not fermenting out fully.
the yeast?

One thought........can you describe how you are using your hygrometer to obtain the readings? Both your SG and FG seem to me to be a little on the high end given the ingredients. A couple of things I have read/experienced:

- You need to make sure you have minimal bubbles in the sample being measured
- Spin the hygrometer when you place it in the solution to stop any bubbles sticking to the side
- Take the reading immediately as bubbles will accumulate causing your hygrometer to rise and your reading to go up.

Not sure if that helps......

Not sure what the exact FG should be but all malt + maltodextrin will contribute to a high FG.

You probably don't need the maltodex if you are adding liquid malt and steeping crystal grain. Try the next one without.

The main question is - do you like what you are producing.? Provided you don't have a stuck fermentation and therefore potential bottle bombs, if you like it everything is ok. If you want it thinner or drier then drop the corn syrup. If you want it drier still add in a couple of hundred grams of dextrose.

As for the hydrometer, it will be calibrated to read 1000 in either 15 or 20 degree distilled water (should say on the notes that came with it). If it reads very close to 1000 in ordinary tap water it's probably close enough for your purposes.

Oh and make sure your sample is mixed properly. Usually best to discard or drink the first bit of the sample and do as described above by waggastew (spin etc).

Corn syrup/maltodextrin is about 75% unfermentable from memory.

Latest posts

Back