Cornelius kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve0408

Reaction score
Hi
I'm thinking of giving up bottling and going to kegs, how long could I expect a fermented brew to last in a keg, 1 week 1 month 1 year?

Last how? Without it being tapped?

Sooo many variables. But theoretically, onced kegged and burped, should last indefinitely in the fridge. Certain styles such as IPA's will fade of course.

If your sanitizing is up to scratch then you can theoretically good it for as long as you want, keep in mind that the flavour will change.
On the other end of the scale, I often find the best tasting beers out of a keg are the last two pints which for me is usually under a month since I kegged it. Quickest empty was 9 days and I wish I'd could hide behind "had some mates over to help me" but that would be a lie, I was thirsty it was tasty.

my bro in laws there... 24 hours.
i would say 18, but two of them are os at present.

I've had a hazelnut brown on for 6 months, It cost me alot to make so I tell everyone that one is empty and serve them up a golden or pale ale. Still tastes great although as others have said the flavours will develop/fade depending on the style. I'm starting to think as a general rule the lighter the beer is the fresher you should drink it

edit: (for ales)

Moad said:
I've had a hazelnut brown on for 6 months, It cost me alot to make so I tell everyone that one is empty and serve them up a golden or pale ale. Still tastes great although as others have said the flavours will develop/fade depending on the style. I'm starting to think as a general rule the lighter the beer is the fresher you should drink it

edit: (for ales)
Haha good stuff, being generous and tight at the same time.

Tahoose said:
Haha good stuff, being generous and tight at the same time.
Probably didn't sound right!

I got past trying to cover my costs. I never ask for money and I just tell anyone to drink what they want. Some people chip in some don't.

It was more the fact it isn't something I make all the time so I am trying to savour the flavour haha

Haha I know I was only kidding.

I invite guests to drink what they want, but there is the odd occasion where I want to save a couple of litres of one keg for later.

Fortunately my mates aren't into IPAs yet so I don't need to worry about that so much.

Back